X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PiDD
    • Aug 2003

1098 vs. Sunfire

I had tunnel vision for the 1098 then a trip to the store and a good price on a Sunfire made me go hhhmmmmmm. Before this it was pure 1098 with
    Anthem causing a slight distraction (I have to do more investigation with Anthem)

So I hop on the net and do a few searches on Sunfire Theater Grand III (I know IV is out) and read some reviews ... some loving it and buying it for their own and some not counting worthy of reviewing! I threw the best and worst reviews out as usual but im still left in the dark.

Has anyone heard the Sunfire (I dont have that opportunity) and how does it stack up to the 1098? I listen to both music(2ch and 5 ch) and HT about 50/50.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Rob
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Who has the Carver unit? Carver's a mixed bag as you've seen..some love his designs while others find them a little too "odd". If it offers all that you need and is priced well it would be something I'd give serious thought to but if its used warranty and resale value could be negatives IMO.

Comment

• PiDD
      • Aug 2003

The Sunfire is a real funny product... and I truely dont know how I feel about it. The price i got is coming $100's under the 1098... quite a few $100's. If the reputation was there and the product was solid I would jump at it. The more I read the more uncertain I get with this product. I was hoping to see if any Rotel lovers (like me) that have heard the Sunfire can speak for its sound.

There is another twist. I bought my speakers 70% on the sound and 30% on the customer satisfaction qualities of the maker. Now they are putting out a amp and pre based on the Sunfire chasis (not sure how much Sunfire is in there). Just another twist... why cant this be easy!!

Anyone with some Sunfire experiance care to help?

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

If price is important (isn't it always important?) then I would consider a RSP1068 ahead of the Sunfire TG. I have heard a TG III in a friends HT but was not all that impressed with the sound. It could have been the amps or speakers causing my impression, however.

If I were you and you have the opportunity, do an A/B/C listening test with the two Rotel's against the Carver. After all, none of our opinions matter much at the finish line, you are the one who ultimatly will listen to your system, not us!
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• PiDD
          • Aug 2003

I wish I had the opportunity to listen to the Sunfire. My city just doesnt have the market to bring it in. I have done a bit more reading and will do some searches on avforum.

What didnt you like about the sound?

Comment

• TonyL
            • Dec 2003

sunfire review

Have you seen this review?:

Sunfire's Theater Grand III AV Processor is a product where we felt its performance and refinement did not match up to its $3,500 price tag. Read our full review to find out why and Sunfire's response

Comment

• PiDD
              • Aug 2003

I did see that! WOW! I think the reviewer went a little over board. I threw it out tho, along with the review that the reviewer said he liked it so much he bought it. What was left was a few reviews some good some just ok. I want more than good or ok.

Comment

• TonyL
                • Dec 2003

sunfire

I was considering the sunfire also, but could never find a place to listen to it. It was always available to order but never set up. I gave up and went with the Rotel 1098 and 1095 combo. I haven't regretted my decision.

I have always been a Carver fan. I still own and use a Carver receiver I bought back in 1989. It was one of their first home theater units, with a matrixed surround. It sounds just as good now as when it was new.

Good luck!!

Comment

• DrJRapp
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by PiDD
                  I wish I had the opportunity to listen to the Sunfire. What didnt you like about the sound?
                  It just wasn't impressive, just loud, sort of murky, not as transparent as I prefer. I repeat however that that could have been the amps or the speakers.
                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• PiDD
                    • Aug 2003

It just wasn't impressive, just loud, sort of murky, not as transparent as I prefer. I repeat however that that could have been the amps or the speakers.
                    You know I have heard this from a few places as well. Loud .. yes but there is distortion. I want clean nothing added to it sound.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

You know you're more then welcome to listen to my setup if you like..it'll sound very different in my room the any of Advances show rooms

Comment

• PiDD
                        • Aug 2003

Thanks Andrew, I will have to take you up on that.

I only heard the 1098 on some B&W 600's and they didnt sound great. I dont know why they would put a pre and amp with speakers a few levels below??

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I should be available this thursday night, friday night and the weekend (at this point) so fire me an email and we'll try and work something out.

Comment

• PiDD
                            • Aug 2003

Sounds good! thx!

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"