X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chef
    • Jul 2004

Upgrade path

Hello there

I'm looking for some advice on a suitable upgrade path for my home theatre system. I currently have the following 6.1 setup:

Isol-8 Mini sub 2
    Arcam CD73
    Denon DVD-2900
    Denon AVR-3803 driving -
    Monitor Audio Gold Reference 20's (Fronts)
    Monitor Audio Gold Reference Centre (Centre)
    3 x Monitor Audio Gfx surround speakers (Surround Left/Right and Rear Centre)
    QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire cabling
    Precious Metals interconnects throughout
    REL Quake II (Subwoofer)

I'm listening to a 50:50 split of music and HT and I realise that I'm limited now by the amp for both.

I have decided from listening to some equipment (mainly 2 channel) and recommendations that I would like to move onto Rotel equipment, initially using my 3803's line outs to a Rotel power amp(s), then replacing the 3803 in a few months with a RSP-1068/1098.

Anybody got any recommendations (leading question :T ) as to what amp would drive these speakers well, and what combinations would work well with the 6.1 setup?

Price is only as much of any issue as I guess it is for anyone, if I spend more money on amps now, I may have to wait a little longer to get my processor, but ultimately the decision I make now I will be living with for quite a while (or else you'll hear about it on divorce court).

Thanks in advance.

Tony
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Since you're going to 6.1 I'd buy the 5 channel 1075 amplifier for now and add a 2 channel 1080 amp for the fronts. That should be about the same price as the 1095 power amp but it'll give you more channels and you can do it one amp at a time if you like. You have some very nice gear though:T

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Ditto

Hi

Ditto...

Unless you are planning some major speaker upgrades in the future and like it loud - in which case the RB-1080 and RMB-1095 are a nice mix...

Geoff

Comment

• Chef
        • Jul 2004

Thanks

I can probably sort out the 1075 now, and just run the rear centre off of the Denon, for the amount of detail that comes through it, that should suffice. Pity that Rotel don't offer a mono-block, I could dedicate that to front centre and use the 1075 for the rest. :T

Any thoughts on the processor? It's probably a few months off yet (need to find a home for the Denon first). Is there really that much difference in the sound quality put out from the 1098 compared to the 1068. The screen isn't an issue as once it's set up it's set up, and for me multi-channel music isn't high on my list, so I'll use my tv for the rare track selection chores.

Tony

Comment

• eelco74
          • Dec 2002

I changed from a 3801 to the rsp-1068. Although I already used the 3801 as a pre only, the difference is quite big. Surprisingly even DD/DTS sounds better, you get more involvement and atmoshere.

In stereo/SACD/DVD-A the difference is even bigger.

I used a 3801 + RB-981 (now 1070)
          Then added a RB-985MKII (now 1075)
          And the last upgrade was to replace the 3801 for a RSP-1068.

Could not be happier....

oh ps. I once thought about upgrading my 3801 to a 3803. I has DLPII as extra. But to my suprise the 3803 sounded actually worse than the 3801....
          Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
          Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
          Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Tony,

There's no doubt that the RSP-1098 sounds a little better than the RSP-1068, it has better power supplies and some components etc. However unless you have a high end system the difference is not proportional to the extra price...

Looking at your set-up - you've some nice equipment - with the Arcam CD and the Denon DVD etc = so you will hear the difference... You should really listen comparatively - you will know for sure then what is worth it to your ears. If you do a search of this forum you will find some of have compared and happily chosen either the RSP-1098 or 1068 based on the value that they put on the difference they heard....

All that aside - I can tell from your words that you'd like it to be the RSP-1068 - so if you can't comparatively listen - buy one ASAP and sell that Denon - (I sold mine year easily) and the Rotel sound jut blew me away...

Geoff

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Tony,

Welcome to the forum.

There are other threads that address this very issue, and you should peruse those threads to gain some knowledge and insight.

Now of course your upgrade path depends on your budget, best bang for the buck:

1) RMB-1075, RSP-1068, and RB-1080, that's probably what I would do if I had budget concerns, (and of course you can add the RB-1080 later).

**Of course you could always purchase the 1056 and the RB-1080 for the fronts.

Are you contemplating 7.1 channel, then with DoProIIx it is simply beautiful, I rarely listen to 2 channel anymore, of course your mileage may vary.

A thought to contemplate, listen to the equipment you plan to purchase (in your home if possible), from the least expensive first, and then try moving upward, to see if you wish to justify the difference in price. It's your money after all, and you must make the final decision.

Just my $$$ worth.

Good Luck and keep up posted,

Azeke

Comment

• Chef
                • Jul 2004

Thanks Geoff

Actually I'd quite like it to be the 1098, my wife and bank manager, that's another story :roll: . I really wanted to get an honest opinion based on the kit that I have. Normally I would just walk into the store and have a listen and make my decision from there, but I've found that when you get to a certain level, those decisions are harder to make in a listening room.

Prior to getting the Gold Series speakers, I ran on Silver S8's on the front and Sfx's on the rear. A trip to my local dealer to listen to the golds showed them to be superior, but not by the country mile I was expecting (bearing in mind the price difference). In all fairness they weren't run in fully, and the room was smaller than mine yadda yadda :Z

When I got them home I was gobsmacked. The difference some running in time and a few more cubes of air can make is tremendous.

I could see myself listening to the 1068 and 1098 back to back and being in that same situation again, so I thought I'd float it and see what the general consensus was (there are some good ears subscribed to this forum, that live with this kit), and I'll take those comments with me when I listen.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Tony

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

Tony,

I know just what you mean...

I have no doubt that you will hear the difference with the RSP-1098 when paired with quality components like your system...

Given too how much you like the Monitor Audio Golds (nice speakers)... You may well be a great candidate for the "extra" soundstage transparency, space and detail that the RSP-1098 brings... For some it's minor - for other's it makes all the difference...

Take one home for a weekend.... It may never leave the house...

Geoff

Comment

• Azeke
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                    Tony,

Take one home for a weekend.... It may never leave the house...

Geoff
                    Tony,

Don't forget your wallet, when you request your new out of box, RSP-1098 :lol:

My 1098 story:

Called my local dealer and asked if he had seen the new Rotel RSP-1098, and he said I just got one in, do you want me to hold it for you. I said sure what the heck, I'll be there in 30 minutes. He let me open the box, and it was so beautiful, that I bought in on the spot (he convinced me by allowing me to use my upgrade policy, for the RSP-1066) and the rest is history. I have never regretted my decision.

Good Luck,

Azeke

Comment

• Chef
                      • Jul 2004

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I think I'm set on the 1075 and the 1080, although I'll have trouble justifying another speaker to fill that spare channel

General opinion seems to be the 1098 is the way to go, and I'd rather make that step now than six months after I'd opted for the cheaper model. I'll still audition both though (like sorting the cables out once wasn't enough : ).

Now where do I find a forum on how to squeeze this all into my futureglass rack 8O

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

I'd say from people's comments that the 1068 gets you to about 95% to the 1098. If you've got the money and you've got equivelant sources, cables and speakers (which you seem to) the difference should only be that much more apparent. The screen is also quite handy for DVD-A/SACD and folks lucky enough to have front projector's.

The 1068 is a great bargain in comparison for people who have a tighter budget but still want a good level of quality. That said I don't think to many people would pick the 1068 over the 1098 if they had the budget. Your mileage may vary.

Jason
                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"