X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adespota
    • Aug 2006

B&W and Monitor AUdio

And the hunt continues.

The spouse and I trundled off to hear the B&W 805s, 704s, 703s and 804s to figure out which ones we want to use in our HT system which will be frontended by a Linn Unidisk SC (pre/pro and universal player) and either an RMB1075 or a Halo A52. We took the Unidisk in with us and listened to them all and decided that the 804s were the option we liked best. We took in a bunch of CDs and SACDs and the Telarc recording of the 1812 and Gershwin was to die for on the 804s. And our Green Day and Yes stuff sounded good too! :lol:

Although we are looking at an HT 5.1 system, stereo music is important to us but, due to intense budget creep, we can't afford a second full system for stereo.

On the way home the spouse wanted to check out one more store where we listened to the Monitor Audio Gold reference RS60s and they were also really good.

So we are now going to home trial the 804s and the monitor audios but would love to hear about people's experiences with them.

Thanks

Adespota
    Last edited by Adespota; 07 September 2006, 11:52 Thursday. Reason: typo
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

I have heard them both, but the Monitors were not at a place that properly set up the theater.

I know a dealer who used to carry both B&W and Monitor Audio and remember having this discussion with him at one time. Where do you happen to live? I can PM you the details if you like.
    Danish

Comment

• Pookie007
      • Apr 2006

I am currently using a Monitor Audio Gold center channel with my 803S. I was originally going to by B&Ws until I heard the Monitor Audio. I couldn’t hear both speakers at the same dealer, so I never got a side by side comparison. The GR60 were about ½ the price of the 803D and I thought they sounded incredible. I ordered the center and GR60s, but somehow the GR60 came in the wrong finish. The salesman was kind of a jerk about the situation, so out of principal I told them I would never spend another dollar in their store. They are the only Monitor Audio dealer in my area, so I got the 803S from someone else instead. Now I have to go back and replace my center speaker to match the fronts. But sound quality wise I definitely think they are worth giving a listen to.

Comment

• Adespota
        • Aug 2006

Monitor Audio and B&W

Well this is the big weekend. We have a pair of B&W 804s and a pair of Monitor Audio Gold RS60s to play with. We are fronting with a Rotel RMB1075 and comparing that to an ATI 1805 as we could not get our hands on the Parasound Halo A52 we wanted to try.

Will update you after the weekend but so far the B&W/Rotel combo (with our Linn Unidisk SC) sounds pretty good. Won't get the RS60s till tomorrow but we will be able to do a side by side which is awesome.

More later

Adespota

Comment

• PhilB34
          • Mar 2006

How did you get on?

Comment

• Adespota
            • Aug 2006

B&W and Monitor Audio

Well the GR60s had more bass but the top end was no match for the B&Ws. When listening to Gershwin on the Telarc recording it was a much more immersive experience with the B&Ws than with the GR60s so we bought the B&Ws. We also bought the Rotel 1075.

We are now doing our speaker cable and interconnect bakeoff and so far are leaning towards the Synergistic research Signature 10 active speaker cables and either the Cardass cross interconencts or the SRs (have yet to try the SRs as they had none in stock. As an FYI for speaker cable we tried Transparent(Wave 200, Wave & Plus), Synergistic research Signature 10, vampire wire STIII, Cardas (Twinlink, Quadlink and Cross) and Nordost Blue Heaven. Tried all the matching interconnects except the Synergistic research ones which we hope to try today. Best matchup was Cardos Cross interconnect with SR Signature 10 speaker cables.

Also testing power conditioners from Panamax and Transparent and found Transparent to sound much better.

Of course that is only my opinion for my equipment

This testing cables and interconnects is much more difficult and time consuming than testing speakers and I have been stunned at how much difference the cables make to the sound in some cases

Adespota

Comment

• Boombox
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Adespota

Also testing power conditioners from Panamax and Transparent and found Transparent to sound much better.

Adespota
              i'm a Transparent fan and user and obviously would go :T :T :T for the Transparent. But, seriously, I'm going to get a power conditioner and the Transparent is clearly my choice.....What is the list price for their conditioners?
              Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• dmccombs
                • Sep 2006

Adespota,

How do you like the bass on the 804S? I have that same 1812 Telarc CD and was curious about your 804S/bass thoughts.

Do you use a sub with the 804S?

I just got 804S as well and have found placement in the room to be VERY important to the soundstage.

Regards,
                Darrell

Comment

• r100gs
                  • May 2005

GR60's are a great speaker. Audition them next to a 804S and let my know what you think. I know what I think.
                  Jay

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"