X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fryguy
    • Apr 2006

Nearfield computer monitor suggestions?

Well, I've got my Dayton TMWWs built downstairs, and overall I'm pretty impressed with them. I'm now looking for a set of bookshelf speakers for use with my computer.

I've currently got a set of audax 6.5" 2-ways up here (that I've had for a while, were first speakers I ever hand assembled, pretty low-end to average). I just finished putting together my signal path, which consists of a dedicated DAC to an SM Pro audio volume control, and finally to a behringer a500. This is how things will stay for the time being, although likely I will add a crossover + sub at some point.

I have a large computer monitor (30" dell), so I have a decent amount of physical separation. Also being a 30" monitor, I don't mind rather large speakers to go with them. The width footprint is still pretty limited, so nothing bigger than 8" drivers, but height wise I could easily go MTM.

I sit about 2.5 feet away from the baffle, and I also sit a bit closer to the left speaker than the right (just a side effect of the way my keyboard/desk is laid out, not much I can do about it except get a new desk or computer chair).

I can fix this by either getting a stand (which i have laying around), and doing some weird positioning stuff and angling to get equal imaging, or I can just stop talking about it now.

Long story short, I have plenty of power, and am looking for speakers that will perform well in near field listening. Price range is way up for grabs, upwards of $3000 is doable (including cabinets, which I get made for me by someone else (hi phil!)). I'm open to suggestions though.
  • Fryguy
    • Apr 2006

Suggestions for mini line-arrays might be nice too, not sure if I can fit them or not (I've only realistically got 10" of width to work with unless I do weird things, which I guess I could)

Comment

• AJINFLA
      • Mar 2005

Dayton TMWWs, Behringer A500, $3000 budget for computer speakers? $3000?

cheers,

AJ
      Manufacturer

Comment

• Fryguy
        • Apr 2006

Lol yes I know, it's strange

I use my computer upstairs more than the TV downstairs, so I'd like some nicer speakers up there than I have downstairs. And the behringer a500 is just what I have laying around currently. I'd rather leave the amp as is now and buy new speakers than upgrade the amp and leave my current relatively poor speakers.

That and I'm in general a believer of amp sound not making much, if any differences. Mostly from this study: http://webpages.charter.net/fryguy/Amp_Sound.pdf

This is CERTAINLY not the time for THIS argument again, however, so I come back to the point of this post:

Suggestions for DIY designs suitable for nearfield use while using a computer?

PS. I'm strongly considering exodus LCRs, and madisound/seas Odins.

Comment

• Operandi
          • May 2007

Wow, this thread is almost exactly what I'm aiming for. The differences being my monitor being the 24" Dell and a vastly different budget ($300-400 for the components). I think I'll also being going with a sub straight off assuming the budget allows.

By my measurements I'm also about 2.5-3' away my current speaker location (Logitech). 15-16" cabinets would also bring the speakers to near perfect ear level in my application which is something you probably want to account into you design also.

Regarding the driver configuration anything more than an TW or WT would probably be a bad idea due to timing issues in a near field environment and perhaps reflections off the desk surface.

I'll be watching this one closely, it should be interesting . It's just a shame I don't have your budget :cry:.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"