X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mattburk
    • Feb 2003

Stand alone cd player or Rdv 1060

I am almost done in putting together a great sounding systm. I have the rsp 1066 & the 1075 amp. I need a good cd player and I was thinking of just waiting for the RDV 1060 to use as a all in one player, but would it be that much better just to get a stand alone cd player like the Rcd 1070 or the Rcd 02?
    www.mycstone.com
    www.coverednow.com
    www.biarenton.com
  • eelco74
    • Dec 2002

I own a RCD-975, wich is still a very good player. I also have a RDV-985, so I can compare both of them.

I must say that the 985 gets very close to the 975 cd player. The 975 has a little bit more detail, and sounds more easy. But it is very close.

The only problem I have is that the 985 does not read CD-R. Thats why I still have both of them.

I suspect the 1060 will sound pretty good. Rotel has always made good sounding DVD players. I doubt that the 1060 will sound as good as the RCD-1070. But it will probably as good as the RCD-02. And will play DVD-A as well.

My advice is, audition both of them. I am in the same process, I have my eyes set on Denons DVD-2900 (SACD/DVD-a/DVD/CD). But I will only replace it if it can be as good as my RCD-975 with CD. De dvd-2900 is not available yet, like the RDV-1060.

And even then I will wait for Rotels answer before buying it.... It seems (only rumors) that they might do SACD after all.

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• mattburk
      • Feb 2003

Thanks,
      I talked to a rep from Rotel who said that there goal with the RDV 1060 was to make it sound better than any of there stand alone cd players. If it does that I think I will get it just for that reason.I dont think it will do sacd, because I listened to the vice president on some talk show, and he specifically said Rotel could not do a sacd and dvda combo because of 'alliances'.
      Now that dennon looks pretty good, it does 6 billion operations per second, the RDV 1060 is 100 million. It is suppose to have the best video chip out, and no chroma but! Now only if the audio can match the Rotel.
      Are there any other all in one dvd players with great audio? I read about the marantz, and I dont think the audio or video is as good as it could be, but what about the Yamaha 2300?
      www.mycstone.com
      www.coverednow.com
      www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Entice
        • Nov 2002

Just out of interest...

what does "sound better" actually mean????

Comment

• mattburk
          • Feb 2003

I would say better sound would be defined as, more accurate sound at highs and lows, with little to no distortion.
          How would you define, 'better sound"?
          www.mycstone.com
          www.coverednow.com
          www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Entice
            • Nov 2002

Interesting...

I think that it is a difficult topic fraught with danger. "Sound better" to me is a very subjective term. What may sound better to me, may not be so for another person. Even starting to use semi-objective terms, such as "more transparent" etc etc can also be fraught with danger. So, is there a definitive way to judge sound reproduction as opposed to perceived sound quality or value? Perhaps there is. But I don't think that it really matters. I presume that what most people are after when they say "sounds better" is something that reproduces the medium in a way that they perceive to be more pleasing to themselves, rather than a faithful reproduction of what's on the medium.

An example may help.
            My brother has a very very high end 2 channel system. little details and nuances on media are brought out in detail and depth that u may never have known were there otherwise. But if you ask my sister in law whether the music she likes sounds better on that system, or better on a midi system she has in her office, she'd tell you that its best played in her office. Ask her which sounds more detailed, and you may get a different answer. (unfortunately, it's true..women do have more sensitive hearing compared to men)

why so?
            well, some recordings are perhaps made bearing in mind the likely equipment that the end user may have. Perhaps its discrimination, but I don't quite think that the individual(s) that would listen to Testament would have quite the same needs (depth, clarity, transparency etc) as an individual interested in Chesky recordings. This "rule" not only supplies to cd players, but every single component in your system...right down to the speaker cables. Each type will change the sound in ways that may be very very difficult to judge.

Moral of the story?

It all sucks... I mean, putting together a system takes many, many hours of trial and error, many many hours of procrastination, and consultation with the financial and relationship manager. It can get quite depressing, or challenging depending on which way you look at it (especially if you already have some components and have just come to the realisation that some work better with some rather than others). Perhaps it can sometimes be easiest if you start afresh and audition systems rather than components. Alternatively, audition the component in YOUR environment.

So, that leaves you taking the CD / DVD player to your home, plugging it in using YOUR interconnects (or taking several to trial / audition). Then, consider taking out your most favourite and often listened to music, and audition it.

Which one makes you smile more?

In answer to your original question...

That's the one that "Sounds better"

Hope this helps and puts things into perspective....

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Entice,

That truly was an Enticing moment 8).

Azeke

Comment

• spiffnme
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by eelco74
                And even then I will wait for Rotels answer before buying it.... It seems (only rumors) that they might do SACD after all.
                Only a pipe dream?

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
                All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

mattburk,

I'd defintely listen to both on the same material. A lot will depend on the speakers, cables, room etc, but I did the comparison when I agonised over it - new DVD or new CD and good as the RDV-1060 is (awesome Video and DVD-A) for pure stereo the RCD-1072 blew it away enough for me to wait for my new DVD and settle on the RCD....

However the other comments about "better" are very valid - the RCD-1072 is very revealing of sound - you hear things you never knew were there - including flaws in imaging, compresion etc. However on great CDs it is sublime

Geoff

Comment

• justaboutnow
                    • Jun 2003

Geoff,
                    Iv'e seen some of your previous posts on Rotel cd players thanks for your previous comments. I'm curious if you have auditioned the RCD 1070 vs RCD 1072.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2003

Just about Now,
                      I’ve seen some of your previous posts on Rotel CD players thanks for your previous comments. I'm curious if you have auditioned the RCD 1070 vs RCD 1072.

Yes and no. I listened to them both but on separate occasions. Both were very good - when I heard the RCD-1070 I was tempted but didn't buy. When I heard the RCD-1072 I bought it.

Now if an RDC-1070- was second hand and cost effective - then it was still a very very nice Cd player - significantly better than the RCD-02....

Geoff

Comment

• justaboutnow
                        • Jun 2003

Thanks for the reply Geoff. I think I'll go for the 1072.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"