X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whmacs
    • Oct 2003

Rotel Gear And Return Of The King

Hi All,
    I picked up Return of the King yesterday, so before my kids went to bed last night, we watch the "Battle for Gondor" section of the movie. If you really want to show off what your Rotel gear is capable of try this portion of the movie! I saw the film at the cinema (twice) but it was a whole new experience watching it last night. I've had my current Rotel set up for four months now (RSP-1098 / RMB-1075 / RB-1070) through a 7.1 Jamo THX speaker system but last night I was stunned just how good this movie sounded. The deep base combined with outstanding rear effects during the battle not just surrounded you, but placed you on the walls of Minas Tirith or on the back of a horse as you charged into the Orcs! I never expierenced this effect in the cinema.

The movie is DD + EX, but do yourself a favour and switch over to DD + PLIIx if you have it available, the PLIIx sound field completely wraps you in sound!
    This is also a loud movie. I had my RSP-1098 volume set to 64, and a number of times my youngest daughter was placing her hands over her ears!
    This movie really demonstates just how capable your Rotel gear really is.

cheers,
    Stephen
    My Home Theatre
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Master and Commander is another very solid sounding movie..those cannon blasts really work the low end of your system.

Comment

• whmacs
      • Oct 2003

Hi Andrew,
      Yes, Master and Commander is another great treat. Those storm scenes sounded very realistic with rain and thunder all around you, the only thing missing was that cold and wet feeling...

cheers,
      Stephen
      My Home Theatre

Comment

• Adz
        • Jan 2004

I think I'll wait it out for the DTS Es version to come out on Return of the King. Got burned twice already buying the initial release only to be followed shortly with the sonically enhanced and extended version.
        Adz

Comment

• miagi
          • May 2004

Originally posted by Adz
          I think I'll wait it out for the DTS Es version to come out on Return of the King. Got burned twice already buying the initial release only to be followed shortly with the sonically enhanced and extended version.
          Got Burned ?? I Thought it was commen knowledge, that PJ wanted to release extended versions of all three LOTR movies....he proclamed it right from the start.

As you i am waiting for the EE to arrive.....can´t wait to hear it on my new Rotel gear

Comment

• Adz
            • Jan 2004

I don't doubt that. Just wasn't in the loop, I guess. ops:
            Adz

Comment

• Tha Freak
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by whmacs
              This movie really demonstates just how capable your Rotel gear really is.

cheers,
              Stephen

wait until you put your hands on the DTS-ES edition!! 8O
              - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Adz
                • Jan 2004

Just finished watching Return of the King - yes, I couldn;t wait until November for the EE and it was $14.99 at Walmart!

One of my favorite movies - here are my two observations:

1. Video was simply the best I have seen on a DVD. Could HD DVD get even better? Why aren't all DVDs like this?

2. Sorry, but DTS ES on the Extended versions of both the Fellowship and the Two Towers simply kicks butt as compared to the DD EX on this one. Not even close.
                Adz

Comment

• Tha Freak
                  • Jul 2003

Meaning that the DTS-ES on the extended is better than the DDex from RotK ?

Or the DDex from RotK is by far better than the DTS-ES in the estended ??
                  - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Adz
                    • Jan 2004

Apologize for not being clearer. What I was trying to say was simply that the DTS ES Discrete soundtracks on the Fellowship and TT are better than the Return of the King DD EX soundtrack. It's not even close, IMO. Widescreen Review does not seem to agree with me, however.
                    Adz

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"