X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Theatrical Cut Return of the King on DVD May 25

ROTK DVD News

Instead of waiting until August like they did for the first two movies in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, New Line is releasing the theatrical cut DVD of Return of the King on May 25 this year. The movie has already gone over the $1 billion USD mark in commercial theater ticket sales world wide, and swept the Oscars last Sunday, winning in all eleven categories for which it was nominated including "Best Picture".

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • Ducan
    • Nov 2003

Great news. I saw the previous 2 in the theaters but somehow never managed to get around to making it to this one. Now i dont have to wait as long to see it on DVD, which I prefer over the theater.

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Having learned my lesson, I'll just rent this one and wait to purchase the extended edition. . . . I'm certainly glad that we don't have to wait so long this time around to get the initial release.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Yup, I'm not only going to wait for the 24 hour long extended version, I'll wait for the 96 hour long trilogy uber-pack whenever it comes out.

CHRIS
        Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

Since I already have the Theatrical Cut and Extended Edition (EE) DVDs of both "Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers" and I don't rent DVDs and I don't want to wait for the holidays (when the EE of "The Return of the King" (ROTK) will be released) or the next millenium (when the super duper extended extended "Lord of the Rings" 15 disc set is released), :>) I'm going to snap up this beauty as close to May 25th as possible.

It would be nice if they'd put the ROTK EE in the commercial theaters for a limited engagement when the DVD is released like they did the other two just before ROTK was released. Then by the end of the year, I'd be able to say that I saw all three movies in both editions in the commercial theater and on DVD. (For the record, I have seen some other movies in the past two years, too.) :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
            Yup, I'm not only going to wait for the 24 hour long extended version, I'll wait for the 96 hour long trilogy uber-pack whenever it comes out.
            Ditto. I've bought the theatrical versions of the first two but haven't even seen the extended versions. I'm waiting for the "uber" pack as well to see any of the extended cuts. Hell I haven't even seen ROTK in the theatre yet! 8O I'll likely rent the theatrical version on the 25'th (or thereabouts)

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
            Jason

Comment

• Aeromos
              • Jun 2003

Is there really going to be a release of all three in one package? If so, are there going to be any significant additions from the extended editions?

Aeromos
              Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
              My Collection
              Aeromos
              My Collection

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Yes there is. It's coming out the same day as the release of Return Of The King. There will be some minimal special features, but no extra footage. That'll come out before the holiday season.

Check out the Upcoming Releases thread for more goodies.

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

I did what Burke did on the first two, so I expect I'll do no different on this one. It just sort of happened.

Lex
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Well, to date I've only gotten the extended Editions. Actually, I didn't buy them, an old friend from back east got them for me for Xmas the last two years- BTW, she's back in New Zealand right now on a month long holiday- she's pretty hard core on the LOTR stuff, she's a new age/fantasy artist; that is, she makes her living doing that kind of stuff professionally.

But while it's not too hard to wait from August to November, if the Theatrical version is out in May, that will be hard to resist.

Earth First!
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                    Obi-Wan
                    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Aeromos
                      • Jun 2003

It never fails. If I remember correctly it was first announed that they won't release a trilogy all-in-one. I guess we should also expect a really nice packaging that will entice us all to buy the pack.

Aeromos
                      My Collection
                      Aeromos
                      My Collection

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"