Current state of the Bass Management issues.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stereo.frog
    • Jan 2003

Current state of the Bass Management issues.

I have read various reports on the state of the 1066 & 1055 bass management issues. Some seem to think that it is corrected. Can someone define what works and what doesn't? Outside of BM, what other issues still exist? (eg. popping) Also, what is the latest software version?

Thanks in advance for a clearly defined answer that all of us could really use.
  • stereo.frog
    • Jan 2003

Anyone????

Comment

• Scarp
      • Mar 2003

I think it was mentioned in another thread that with the latest firmware versions (2.2.5 and 1.?? (dunno)) the bass management problems where solved.

I think that for multi-input the old problem remains.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

With the latest firmwares (2.25 and 1.49) most of the BM issues are resolved to the point its workable. You can now turn off the sub for any input so you don't get bass redirect. DD and DTS work fine and the multichannel inputs work as straight pass though if you have the sub set to off. At least that's my understanding of it at the moment.

With regard to popping...if you're unit has it try and exchange it since the vast majority of owners don't have a problem.

Comment

• Scarp
          • Mar 2003

Is it possible to set the sub off for just 2 channel stereo?
          I dont see where I could do that. It only allows for one type of speaker setting.

edit: the subwoofer is not used in 2ch mode when the fronts are set to large, but LFE is being kept on the display. However this is large setting also used for multi-channel mode, but I guess there is no way around it. Ah well ... good enoug

Comment

• Matt Sprouls
            • Apr 2003

I am new to Rotel so please forgive if I sound ignorant.

My understanding of the 1066/1055 Analog Multi input is that it is pure pass-through. If I want bass mgn I would rely on my DVD-A or SACD player to perform that function.

If I am wrong please educate me. I bought a 1055 so I guess I'm in the club if y'all will have me.

Matt
            Regards,
            Matt

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

yes the multi channel is now a pass though providing you set the sub to off.

Comment

• JKohn
                • Jun 2002

yes the multi channel is now a pass though providing you set the sub to off.
                Of course, I don't think this would work if you're actually feeding the multi-channel inputs an LFE signal, since wouldn't that also be turned off? I'll have to test this...

Jeff Kohn
                Jeff Kohn
                http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

true enough...but theres a lot of merit to not using an LFE channel for DVD-A and SACD anyway since there isn't one on the disc and using the players BM to generate one apparently casues the quality to drop compared to straight pass though

Comment

• JKohn
                    • Jun 2002

true enough...but theres a lot of merit to not using an LFE channel for DVD-A and SACD anyway since there isn't one on the disc and using the players BM to generate one apparently casues the quality to drop compared to straight pass though
                    I don't know if any hi-rez discs have an LFE track of not, but it's in the spec and therefore possible.

As for bass-management being a bad thing for hi-rez music, I really don't see how that makes any sense at all. How are the pros/cons of BM any different for multi-channel music than home theater? Granted, 5 (or more) full-range speakers might be ideal, but how many people have a set up like that? Sending bass to a speaker that can't reproduce it is never going to be a good thing. And the only disadvantage that I'm aware of for bass management is phase drift, but that's a minor issue; you're more likely to have worse phase issues with multiple full-range speakers around your room than you will with the phase error caused by bass management.

Fortunately, it looks like there may be a solution to get a true 6.1 passthrough on the 1066, though I'm not really in a position to discuss it right now. Let's just say the person who has the information should hopefully be able to share it with us in the not too distant future.

Jeff Kohn
                    Jeff Kohn

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

is it really in the specs? I thought it wasn't? I don't have a problem with BM if it doesn't cause the sound quality to drop which it apparently does on most machines

Comment

• JKohn
                        • Jun 2002

is it really in the specs? I thought it wasn't?
                        I think the spec actually leaves it kind of open what the 6th channel is for, it depends on the producer/engineer. I know there are a few audiophile labels that advocate using the 6th channel for a "height" channel.

I don't have a problem with BM if it doesn't cause the sound quality to drop which it apparently does on most machines
                        Just curious, what are you basing this on? I can't think of any reason why BM would cause sound quality problems for music and not home theater. If your referring to the position Rotel is officially taking that you should use all full-range speakers, I think that was more spin on their part to CYA with regard to the 1066's multi-input shortcomings.

Jeff Kohn
                        Jeff Kohn

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Jeff I believe it was John Kotches who said that BM on most DVD players causes lower sound quality...if it wasn't john it was another well respected reviewer. I haven't tried any DVD-A titles in my HT yet though this is all second hand so to speak.

Comment

• hanser
                            • May 2002

Just to clarify: I own several DVD Audios and SACDs that do have a .1 channel. So it is important, not to lose the .1 passthrough. If I would remove the .1 channel for example from the DVD Audio "New Year Concert 2001" I would lose all bass.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

hopefully soon we'll be able to "turn" off that redirect in the rotels...I'm sure either jeff or I will be able to post something more about that later on...

Comment

• sdecker
                                • Jun 2002

Andrew,

Thanks for the info. If Rotel fixes the Multi inputs the 1055, imho, would be the best receiver on the market. I love mine, as you can probably tell.

I would have no problem sending my 1055 back to Rotel for the fix. Please keep us updated. Thanks again.

Earle

Comment

• jaakan
                                  • Dec 2002

Originally posted by hanser
                                  Just to clarify: I own several DVD Audios and SACDs that do have a .1 channel. So it is important, not to lose the .1 passthrough. If I would remove the .1 channel for example from the DVD Audio "New Year Concert 2001" I would lose all bass.
                                  J. Strauss: New Year's Concert 2001 (DVD Audio) - it's true DVD audio sound track doesn't have a .1 channel only full range channels but the Dolby Digital sound track does.

Comment

• hanser
                                    • May 2002

Jaakan,

sorry, but the the DVD Audio track of this disc HAS also a .1 channel, I checked it for myself. As do reportedly several other DVD Audio from Warner (I have only this one). Also, the Aix DVD Audios seem to have a .1 channel, since they are advertising hirez 96/24 5.1 channel sound.

Hartwig

Comment

• jaakan
                                      • Dec 2002

the disc I have ran have acrossed didn't have .1 channel, I must got my hands on an odd disc with the one your talking about or it's another version.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"