X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caleb1995
    • May 2004

My first Rotel....help with purchasing decision

Hey all. I am upgrading my system and have decided on Rotel. I am trying to decide between the 1056, 1067 and 1068/1075. I live in an apartment, so I don't have a very large listening room. My first concern in 2-channel stereo, but surround also important to me. I'm driving Sonus Faber Grand Piano speakers.

The question is how much do I really need the additional power? I don't like the look of the 1067 that much, so my choice is more between the 56 and 68/75. How noticable is the difference likely to be? I could afford the 68/75 but would rather spend on other stuff unless the difference will be substnatial. Any thoughts?

Also, this is a totally novice question, but with the 1075 (75 x 5), when playing in 2-channel mode, does the amplifier redirect power from the other channels such that the fron 2 channels are really getting more than 75W?

Thanks.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Welcome Caleb

First of all the 1075 is 120W x 5 not 75W. The 1056 is 75W x5 and goes up to 100W x2 in 2-channel listening. I too would probably either go with the 1056 or 1068/1075. Unless you need both decent power and to have it all in one box due to space concerns the other options are better than the 1067.

Due to the fact that you live in an apartment (can't play at ear-busting levels) and that good 2-channel is a requirement I'd probably go with the 1056 but I would add an RB-1070 (or 1080 :P ), 2-channel amp. This will give you better performance for 2-channel and allow you to go 7.1 or power a second zone down the line if you choose. (Speakers in the bedroom or kitchen say...) The seperate 2-channel amp with it's own power supply etc will be killer :T Not to mention freeing up resources in the 1056 to power the remaining channels. The 1068 does IMO offer a tiny bit of added fidelity over the 1056 at the cost of a tuner, amplification and cost. You, your ears and your wallet have to fight that one out :lol:

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• caleb1995
      • May 2004

question

Thanks, that's helpful. Just so I understand, if I add an external 2-channel amp to the 1056, is that power addative (to the existing power in the 1056) or will I only be using the external amp's power when listening 2 channel?

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

You would only be using the 2-channel amp when listening to stereo. It will also power your mains during surround listening freeing up the 5 channels in the 1056 for surround/second zone duty. You could bi-amp your mains with both the 2-channel amp and the L/R output of the 1056 but due to the different wattages etc I don't think you get the best results.

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• caleb1995
          • May 2004

question 2

So is it fair to say then that you would really need to add to the 1080 to make a real difference (200w vs 100w) as opposed to the 1070 (130w vs 100w) or are there other considerations I'm missing?

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Well the 1070 obviously offers a price advantage and would be more than adequate power wise. Any 2-channel amp should outperform a multi-channel amp of equal power just based on the fact that it doesn't have to share a power supply with more channels and the simpler design with less components, less heat etc. If you can afford the 1080 it will definately offer you better power handlying, dynamics etc. The only reason I'd be slightly hesitant about the 1080 with the 1056 is that your centre channel will be fairly under-powered compared to your mains. The 1080 IMO is a better match for the 1075. Perhaps you should start with the 1068/1075 and look towards upgrading to the 1080 with that? :P :P

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

since you own such nice front speakers I'd get the 1080 as well as they'll really open up with the larger power the 1080 offers over the 1070 and I agree with Aud that the 1056 would be a fine choice as the pre amp/receiver for your listening. You won't need more then 75 watts for surround duty in an apartment (actually most of us don't need more then that)

Comment

• SimonSays
                • May 2004

I've been considering adding an external 2ch amp to my RSX-1055, but I'm not sure how to do it. What output from the receiver do you run to the amp inputs? Will any 2ch amp do, or are there special considerations to take into account for this type of application?

Thanks for helping out a newby.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

If you look on the back of yor receiver you'll see a series of RCA plugs labeled as pre outs (they're on the left hand side if I remember right). You simply then need to attache a pair of interconnects from the front left and right pre out to the inputs on the power amp and connect your speaker wires to the power amp. Most if not all power amps meant for home use will accept an RCA input so no there's nothing special in that regard to worry about. Some other types of amplifers like pro amps or ballanced amps will have different types of inputs but they're not normally something you'll have to worry about.

Comment

• SimonSays
                    • May 2004

Andrew--thanks for the time in answering an admittedly green question. And thanks to the board for providing such a great resource for Rotel owners.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Simon we all started as noobies at one point or another so please don't hesitate to ask any question you have...no matter how simple you think it is. For every guy like you that dares to post a question there's likely 10 others that just lurk waiting for a brave soul like you :T

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"