X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpauline
    • Dec 2003

Silly question re front channel amplification

Hello,

This will seem like a stupid question but I am going to ask it anyway. I currently have my amplification set up as follows:

-Rotel RMB 1095 driving center, fronts and rear surrounds.
    -Rotel RB 1080 driving two back surrounds.

My question is should the 1080 be driving the front left and right speakers or is my setup good now?

The second question I have is in regards to setting the crossover frequencies with my RSP 1098. I have never had the ability to do this before with a pre/pro so I do not know what reference level to use.

Thanks,

Mark
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Mark,

You should use the 1080 to drive the fronts and the 1095 for the rears, since usually the rears require less power.

Once you have switched the 1080 to the fronts you will need to re-calibrate your speakers and don't forget, the speaker delays are also critical in your setup, get a tape measure and calculate your distances from the optimal sitting position.

I own basically the same amps, and pre-pro that you have. This is my Xover configuration (of course this depends on your speakers), all speakers set to small.

Fronts: 60Hz
    Center: 80Hz
    Rears: 80Hz
    CBs: 80Hz
    Sub: 80Hz

I have tried a multitude of configurations and this is what works best for me. You will need to let your own ears be the judge. Keep us posted.

Good Luck and above all have fun.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• will1066
      • Aug 2003

You should use your speakers' -3dB frequency-response ratings as a guide in setting your x'overs. Check your speakers' owners manuals. Then, listen with those settings and tweak to your tastes, since your room will have an effect on your speakers' response.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

The 1080 should definitely be on the fronts :T You should set your crossover to just above the level your speakers lowest capabilities are. Ie: if your mains can play down to say 45hZ try a 60 hZ crossover, your centre plays down to 65hZ, try an 80hZ crossover etc.

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• will1066
          • Aug 2003

Oh yeah, try the 1080 powering the fronts. Now I don't own the 1095 so I don't know what that bad boy can do, but the 1080 will lay the smackdown on all but the toughest sound transducers.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"