X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MonkeyMike
    • Jan 2008

Port Length Question

Long time reader... first time poster...

Lets assume I calculated a port length of 30 inches (just a nice round number for discussion purposes). And in my port length calculations, I used an end correction factor for a port with two flared ends.

When I go and actually build this port, do I make the straight length 30 inches and add the flares onto the ends? Or do I consider some portion of the port radius as part of the straight length measurement?

The only resource I could locate was the following:
    Recommendations on using Port Flares for loudspeakers and subwoofers based on experimental evidence

On that page, the author states that 1/2 of the port radius should be considered in the measurement of the port straight length.

~mike
    You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely. - Ogden Nash
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

On that page, the author states that 1/2 of the port radius should be considered in the measurement of the port straight length.
    Yeah, that sounds about right as a rule of thumb. If you're using Precision Ports, their online calculator says to make the whole assembly 1" longer than the straight pipe calc. Example:

20" straight pipe

or

19" straight
    flares on each end with 1" radius
    effective length 19 + 1/2 + 1/2 = 20"
    total assembly length 21"

Comment

• Eric S
      • Sep 2000

30" is a fairly long port. I remember coming across a note a while ago that indicated you should try to keep the port length under 5x to 6x the port diameter. Otherwise, you run the risk of creating port resonance that you don't want.
      My DIY Theater Projects

Comment

• MonkeyMike
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Eric S
        30" is a fairly long port. I remember coming across a note a while ago that indicated you should try to keep the port length under 5x to 6x the port diameter. Otherwise, you run the risk of creating port resonance that you don't want.
        for the rl-p15 subs that everyone seems to be building (myself included), a 31" port is the calculated length for a 6" port (265 liter effective volume, 15 hz tune, with both port ends flared).

~mike
        You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely. - Ogden Nash

Comment

• Eric S
          • Sep 2000

Sounds like you're in good shape, Mike! Just wanted to point out some limits...

Eric
          My DIY Theater Projects

Comment

• JonP
            • Apr 2006

Heh... I was going to say that's long... but a 6" is a pretty large port!

And, that's right there at 5X the diameter...

IIRC, the "organ pipe resonance" has to do with the length, and not so much with the diameter... though it and the box volume probably have a small influence. There are calculators (Unibox for example) that will calculate the resonance for you. If it's too low, and your crossover is too high... you might get some noise problems...

I tried putting a nearly 30" port in a 3 cu box (4 4" elbows, not much pipe between them) it was close to 200Hz resonant, and I think it made the otherwise nice results kind of mushy and boomy. All those elbows probably didn't help with basic port turbulence noise, either. Converted it back to sealed.

Sub was a RS 12", more for music not HT, so higher cross, more picky listening, etc... In a bigger, lower tuned and crossed monster, the effects would be less noticable.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"