X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wng
    • Dec 2002

THX Sur LED on 1066's front display

Has anyone noticed this? It's to the left of the "EX" light. Anyone have a theory on why it's there?
  • Rock Dog
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by wng
    Has anyone noticed this? It's to the left of the "EX" light. Anyone have a theory on why it's there?
    Chances are it's a cost saving maneuver. Instead of creating a separate display for each product, they create one, and only "wire" in the things that are relevant. This is done a lot in the auot industry with guage clusters. If you look closely, or use a flashlight to light the cluster (helping you to see the icons when they are not lit) you will see things that are not part of your car. For instance, some vehicles come with Traction Control, while others don't. The icon will be there, but no circuit is connected, and no bulb is present.

OR, maybe it's there in case ROTEL decides to get the unit THX certified. I'd bet they could enable it through software. Why spend the money redoing the display, when you can just turn it on in the firmware if need be.

$0.02

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• wng
      • Dec 2002

Thomas, I thought that too, the use of common components to save on costs. I was also thinking that was a sign that the 1098 was going to get THX certified. But now, we know the 1098 doesn't use that smallish display, hehe. Maybe the 1066's successor will get THX certified?

Comment

• Rock Dog
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by wng
        Thomas, I thought that too, the use of common components to save on costs. I was also thinking that was a sign that the 1098 was going to get THX certified. But now, we know the 1098 doesn't use that smallish display, hehe. Maybe the 1066's successor will get THX certified?
        You're probably right. The 1098 is most likely ROTEL's move into the next "price point" or so. It's not meant to replace the 1066, but give current 1066 owners an upgrade path.

Maybe there is going to be a 1068, or 1078 or something like that, a couple of quarters after the 1098 is released. Or maybe the next rev. of the 1066 will get the cert, and they can simply toggle that light.

Who knows?

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• OnlyOne
          • Aug 2003

My new 1055 also has the THX Surround EX logo on the front panel display screen. Is it possible to activate it..?

Comment

• greggz
            • Jun 2002

I asked Rotel over a year ago about the dark "THX" indicator on the display. They said they have no plans to play the licensing fees necessary to add THX processing to the 1055/1066. It was put there "just in case" circumstances changed and it became necessary. But, given the 1055/1066 do Rotel-XS, DD-EX, DTS-EX and DTS-ES, there really is no need to add another rear channel processing scheme.

Gregg
            Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• Mats
              Special Member
              • Jun 2000

When the 1066 was constructed It seemed that you can only get EX Surround Decoding with THX or that this feature will be called THX Surround EX.

Now it is available as Dolby EX without THX.
              But the display was already designed.

Thats the story I heared and it seems logical to me. In the beginning of EX many machines called it Dolby 6.1 Matrix e.g. and there was no logo available. (Denon 3802 e.g.)

Left forum because sold Rotel gear
              Mats
              Mats Strömberg
              Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
              Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"