X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jolondon
    • Jan 2003

somewhat dumb question

I just bought a 1055 RSX. I understand why the surround receiver should process the audio via a digital connection but why does the 1055 - like other av receivers - process the video if it is just to be routed to the tv? Does the 1055rsx have a better video decoder than what is in the dvd player or is it just passing the signal on to the tv? I don't get it!

Josh
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, you're asking whether connecting the video signal first to your receiver, then to the TV from the receiver is for any other purpose than for video switching. If that's so, the receiver just passes the signal on to the television. It's a convenience that allows you to utilize the extra outputs on the receiver to suppliment those on the TV. However, not all receivers are the same in this regard. If you got one of the more newly manufactured Rotels, then you're fine as they allow for the signal transfer to go through smoothly. At least, that's the way it is on the 1066 pre-pros. What you're after is the signal going from the receiver to the TV with as little deterioration as possible.

At least that's my understanding. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• sndtowne
      • Jan 2003

Not a dumb question at all.

Danbry39 is correct. There is no video "decoding" or processing of any kind done in the RSX-1055. The video switching is merely for convenience. I suppose there has to be a very slight degradation of the video signal when passing through any receiver, but it is usually so tiny that the convenience is worth it.

I have tried plugging my DVD player directly into my projector using the component video inputs - and also routing it through my receiver then to the projector. I have not been able to discern any difference.

Bruce
      Bruce

Comment

• Smith
        • Jan 2003

The video loop thru is passive only. You shouldn't notice a decrease in video quality with the siginal path going through the receiver. It does make it nice when changing video sources...

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"