X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

Shocked!!!

I was playing a cd through the 1066 and I went to turn it down and I got "shocked" and the unit shut off. I turned it back on and everything seemed ok, even reinstalled the lastest firmware to be sure, but now it will not accept any remote signals!

My surge protector, which everything is plugged into, says "ground ok" so I know the equipment is grounded...but what the heck!???

Any ever experience anything like this?

Thanks!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Erik that really is weird. Try unplugging it from the power bar for a few minutes and try again. If it still won't accept the remote you might have a more serious problem.

Comment

• efarstad
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2001

I just did some reading and found, if it's true, that since I'm using a dehumidifier in the basement perhaps it's too dry down there making it easy for static electricity...therefore causing the shocking??? So basically, if it's too dry it might cause static? Anyone know if this is true?

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

Comment

• WallaceBW
        • Jan 2003

Yes... Dry air is a primary cause if static.... In the Server room
        (Computer Room) at the office we have a unit that both humidifies if it's to dry and de-humidifies... It being winter in DC, USA it is usually humidifying

Brian

Comment

• WallaceBW
          • Jan 2003

Also, If you were just touching the chasis and/or the volume kbob than it should have been handled by the internal grounding and passed out the negative connector (artificial ground)... (remember the Rotel gear uses a two prong power cords)...

Try unplugging the unit as said before... but (while unplugged) press the power button (which will speed up the process of discharging the capcitors). If this doesn't fix it try leaving it unplugged overnight. If that doesn't work call rotel. (you DID try changing the batteries in the remote...right?)

Brian

Comment

• efarstad
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2001

Brian, thanks buddy! I'll give all that a try! I know it's not the batteries cause all my other components work...but heck I'll double check that too!

Wish me luck fellas! 8)

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
            E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
            E-Cinema

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

Sincerely, good luck. In all my years, I've never heard anything like this. I also don't see why static on the chassis would affect any circuitry in the unit itself. I'm really interested if the suggestions helped so let us know.

Keith
              Keith

Comment

• efarstad
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jun 2001

I'm as confused as anything too...right now it's unplugged and the button pushed in (on)...so hopefully the capicitors will discharged as Brian suggested.

It's been that way for about an hour or so...so I'll let her go for a while longer and then check and see if she'll return to her old glory!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                E-Cinema

Comment

• WallaceBW
                  • Jan 2003

Patient status update please doctor

Brian

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

Static electricity can damage delicate chips in electronic gear. That's probably what happened, the static discharged through the volume control, fried some chips on the display board on the way to ground. If you had touched the metal chassis of the pre-pro instead of the volume knob chances are the static would have been dissipated safely.

The air is a lot drier in the winter so you shouldn't be running a dehumidifier unless you have a serious moisture problem. More likely you need a humidifier this time of year. Mine runs non-stop through the winter. If I don't run a humidifier I run the risk of igniting the cats when I stroke them. 8O :LOL:

Hopefully it can be fixed quickly and easily. They'll probably swap out the board that houses the display, remote sensor and buttons, and it'll be good as new.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                    My HT Site

Comment

• WallaceBW
                      • Jan 2003

one problem with that theory... the volume knob is plastic (thus an insulator)...

I do however believe that if a component failed it would be a transistor realated to the IR reviever...

Brian

Comment

• efarstad
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jun 2001

Well...after being unplugged all night and trying all the above...still nothing. I'll be calling Rotel first thing tomorrow...

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                        E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                        E-Cinema

Comment

• WallaceBW
                          • Jan 2003

sorry to hear that but I'm sure that they will get you fixed up

Brian

Comment

• Kevin P
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by WallaceBW
                            one problem with that theory... the volume knob is plastic (thus an insulator)...
                            Static can exceed 20,000 volts and can jump past/through many common insulators. If there's metal behind the volume knob it can jump the gap, hence the spark when you come close to, but not touching, a doorknob after shuffling your feet across the carpet. It finds the shortest/easiest path to ground and if it's through the plastic to the rotation sensor behind the knob, and through a few chips along the way, oh well... 8O

My HT Site

Comment

• WallaceBW
                              • Jan 2003

Thank you for the into to electronics course... actually the revised stat is 40KV (especially with those cats running around your place)... but as you said the path of least resistance might have been the knob (usually the chassis though)... Oh well the point is mute at this juncture. The facts point tend to favor you this time... I guess that the plastic is thin or otherwise of low insulation value. (or maybe he has cats :LOL: )

Brian

BTW: I wasn't trying to start a flame or anything (I meaned no offence)

Comment

• efarstad
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jun 2001

It's official...she's going back to Rotel for repairs!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                E-Cinema

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Update here, gentlemen... I hung out with E and the fam for a bit tonight, and we discovered that it's just him... must be some sort of electro-chemical imbalance or something.
                                  :fart:

All night the poor kid was shocking himself on various things. I couldn't feel anything. Okay, so this brings to mind one of the better lines from the classic Val Kilmer 80's comedy "Real Genius":

Professor Hathaway: "That's wonderful, Brodie. I noticed you stopped stuttering."

Brodie: "Yes sir, I've been giving myself shock treatments".

Professor Hathaway: "Up the voltage!"

:##

CHRIS
                                  Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• efarstad
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jun 2001

:rf

Chris is right everyone...I touched something and felt a little surge...asked Chris to and he felt nothing! I knew I had an electric personality but this is ridiculous!!!!

Now I have to figure out why the heck I'm acting like a conductor of static electricity??? :? I've always been a bit "out there" but this one is even got me stumped? 8O

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                    E-Cinema

Comment

• Florindi
                                      • Jan 2003

Hi All,
                                      This morning the same thing happened to me. I got shocked from the Vol knob. I lost sound from the unit. I shut it down and turned it back on and everything was fine. Does anybody think I did some damage? Why did I lose sound then reboot and have it come back?

Comment

• wng
                                        • Dec 2002

This static thing is goin' around. Two days ago, I went to press stop on my CD player and I saw a blue spark when I touched it, no joke! Everything seems intact, thank goodness. And I don't even have carpet.

Comment

• efarstad
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jun 2001

LOL...Good Gravy, look what I've started! I'm so sorry gents...I never inteded to infect "Club Rotel" with the sparks! :P

From now on before I touch any equipment in my rack, I'm going to touch the metal hinges on my door in hopes of not shocking anything again!

Florindi, sounds like you didn't build up enough electrons to really give your gear a jolt like I did...be thankful! :-y

Wng, wow you're even shockin' things without carpet....you be the man!!! ;x(

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                          E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                          E-Cinema

Comment

• Kevin P
                                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by efarstad
                                            Now I have to figure out why the heck I'm acting like a conductor of static electricity??? :? I've always been a bit "out there" but this one is even got me stumped? 8O
                                            What kind of shoes were you and Chris wearing? Some types are more prone to picking up static than others. Rubber soled shoes may have different static properties than say, oh, heck, what else do they make soles with? I'm just a geek, not a shoe maker!

Anyway, clothing or shoes, or even different socks could make a difference. I rarely get shocks (except when getting in and out of the car), since I have a humidifer in the house. If I didn't, the cats would catch fire when I pet them! :hb

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Danbry39
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Sep 2002

efarstad,

We've always suspected you were some sort of Norwegian computer virus. :yesnod:

Keith
                                              Keith

Comment

• efarstad
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jun 2001

Kev, I was wearing socks and Chris had on rubber sole shoes...but I think I just am one of those lucky one's who store electrons easily...this darn mishap has gotten me "readin" up on this...and some folks suffer built up electrons more then others...looks like I'm one of um!

LOL Danbry39...I should work on a "Shocking Virus" that would be fun!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                                E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                                E-Cinema

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"