X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

1066, Remote, & IR Repeaters

Ok...some of you may have watched my journey as I built my HT. Well, I just finished connecting my IR-Repeater system which consists of the following:

Stealth IR Sensor

of which is connected to this:

Connecting Block

of which I have these connected into:

I programmed the Rotel remote to control all my equipment, dvd player, tv, etc...and all works flawless on those components except I literally have to stand RIGHT INFRONT of the IR sensor to get it to accept the signals that go to my 1066? DVD player, TV, etc...all work fine from far away and extreme angles.

Anyone using repeaters and having problems? Perhaps my remote is buggy?

Thanks for any input....

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema
  • Todd S
    • Jan 2003

The IR sensor is a IR receiver IC that is narrowly tuned for a certain frequency. The IC also discriminates against noise caused by ambient light. There are different ICs that work best with different types of remote code protocols. I am guessing that particular IR receiver that Audioplex's StealthIR uses is not best suited for the type of code protocol that the Rotel uses. My advice would be to buy and use a wideband IR receiver! Look at SpeakerCraft's IR receivers.

Todd
    Todd

Comment

• efarstad
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2001

Thanks Todd...I'll keep looking into it. Figured it had to be the signals being sent for the Rotel...because the unit accepts signals from almost all remotes in the 40kHz range and has a pick-up range of 110 ft. indoors (15-20 feet in direct sunlight). So perhaps the Rotel is not in that range?

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

Comment

• efarstad
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2001

arty:

Believe I found the root of the problem...I just got off the phone with Tech support and they said I have the wrong powersupply hooked up to my block. I'm only using a 9 volt which is good for most equipment but the Rotel signals need a bit more power to boost the signal...so I'll be trying out a 12 volt power supply which should fix my problem. They said many "high end" manufacturers like Rotel (that was a nice compliment huh?) need the larger power supplies for transmitting their IR signals!

I was so bummed I could not control the Rotel very easily! Hope this works...I'll let you all now! Cause that Stealth IR is SWEET...I'll be showing pics of all this stuff shortly too! 8)

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

E! what sort of price are we looking at for your repeaters?

Comment

• efarstad
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2001

Here's what I paid:

$99.95

$29.95

$8.99 for Single, $15.95 for Dual Pack

You'll need a 12volt power supply so add another $12-20 (I'd recommend a "regulated" one for Rotel Equipment...since most power supplied don't actually supply their stated power...but the regulated one's do!)

Hope that helps! It can be done Cheaper...I just loved the stealth IR...you can't even see it on my center channel speaker stand!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
            E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
            E-Cinema

Comment

• Todd S
              • Jan 2003

I am curious if the power supply voltage was the problem. If it was, I do not know why bringing the remote closer to the receiver would all of a sudden work.

Todd
              Todd

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

IR systems amplify and repeat signals. The farther away the signal is the weaker it is. From 15' the signal reaching the IR receiver wasn't strong enough to be amplified at 9V and sent over, but was from 5'. More power = more amplification = more signal back to the 1066.

(All figurative distances, but the theory is there... )

Kevin D.

Comment

• Todd S
                  • Jan 2003

That would be true if the sensor was a fixed gain amplifier. But I am pretty sure that the IR sensor in question is an IR receiver IC, not just plain photodiode. The IC runs off of 3-5V, and inside there is basically an AGC circuit fed into a buffer. The output of this IC is demodulated and always either low or high, no in between (digital not analog). Then that signal gets modulated with carrier. So therefore I do not see why increasing the power supply from 9V to 15V would make any difference.

Maybe when he got close to the IR receiver, the 1066 was the one that was actually picking up the remote signal?????

Todd
                  Todd

Comment

• efarstad
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2001

Todd, the 1066 was behinds a closed door so there's NO WAY the signal could have reached it. Once I got the stronger power supply, the signal was boosted enough to be sent to the 1066...all I know is that it worked!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                    E-Cinema

Comment

• Todd S
                      • Jan 2003

Gosh , who needs theory when empirical evidence gives the answer? Anyways, glad to hear it works.

Todd
                      Todd

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"