X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimP
    • Jul 2005

Where did the XLR connectors go?

I was thinking about upgrading my RB-991 to a RB-1572 and noticed that the XLR connector was gone. Then noticed the same thing on the RB-1582.

Since I'm considering a new prepro that is XLR only, I'm a little concerned over this.

My thinking about going with the RB-1572 had to do with sonically matching my RMB-1095 with new gear. I'm starting to think that I should just stay with what I have. Its for the back surround channel in a 7.1 system.
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Not only are the XLR's missing, but the RB-1572 is Class D (B&O ICE modules) so you will probably find its sonically different to your RMB-1095 - its built to match the RMB-1575.

I prefer XLR interconnects myself, although arguably they're not going to make too much difference with the typically short distances involved between components in a domestic hifi rack. The whole end to end design must be balanced for XLR interconnects to really bring any benefit, and it very often isn't anyway. Strangely, the ICE modules in the RB-1572 are indeed balanced, but Rotel still chose to single end it.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• JimP
      • Jul 2005

Any suggestions?

I don't really want to sell off both amps and replace them with new production RB-1572 and RMB-1575.

At that point, I'm not so sure that I wouldn't be looking for a 7 channel amp by somebody else.

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Something like this?
        The PMA-7350 - a seven channel, 350 watts per channel monster of an amp is the flagship in Emotiva's new Pro line. The PMA-7350 has a massive 3.3kVA toroidal transformer that is stable into 4 ohms.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• srb
          • Oct 2004

Or this?

Outlaw 7700 - 7 X 200W Balanced Amplifier for $2150 - Made in USA

Steve

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Well, you probably didn't hear a difference using balanced on your 991. All it did was convert the balanced signal to unbalanced and then send it to the same inputs as the RCA's.

Rotel might have had a truly balanced amp at some point, but since the 9 series they haven't. So with the 15 series they just quit pretending.

Kevin D.

Comment

• JimP
              • Jul 2005

Thanks everyone for posting.

I'll have to think this out before making my next move.

Need some critical comments on those two 7 channel amps.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"