• Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Custom designed and built by Rotel,

How interesting the New BDP-95 from OPPO

Toroidal Power Supply
    - Custom designed and built by Rotel, the toroidal power transformer offers superior inrush current and much lower exterior magnetic field over traditional laminated steel core transformers. The BDP-95's toroidal linear power supply provides a very clean and robust power source to the critical audio components.
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • srb
    • Oct 2004

I had previously glanced at the BDP-95 page, but missed the Rotel reference. Although a simple power supply could have been sourced from many vendors, that is interesting because (a) they chose Rotel and (b) that Rotel apparently also does some OEM work.

I don't remember every seeing any other manufacturer's references to "Rotel built" anything (but I could have missed it like I did with this one).

Steve

Comment

• TommyV
      • Feb 2007

Maybe this means there will be a Rotel version of the Oppo 95. That would be cool.

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by TommyV
        Maybe this means there will be a Rotel version of the Oppo 95. That would be cool.
        Yes or even better Classé using Oppo BDP-95 and reboxing it for $500 extra :T
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• srb
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by wettou
          Yes or even better Classé using Oppo BDP-95 and reboxing it for $500 extra :T
          Don't laugh. Lexicon previously repackaged the Oppo BDP-83 (not the SE) as the Lexicon BD-30 and sold it for $3500.

They didn't just take the guts out of the Oppo, they put the entire Oppo chassis inside their chassis, cut bottom vents in their chassis to line up with the vents in the Oppo chassis, and modified the software so that the splash screen said "Lexicon"!

It did have a substantial machined aluminum front panel.

Steve

Comment

• TommyV
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by srb
            Don't laugh. Lexicon previously repackaged the Oppo BDP-83 (not the SE) as the Lexicon BD-30 and sold it for $3500.

They didn't just take the guts out of the Oppo, they put the entire Oppo chassis inside their chassis, cut bottom vents in their chassis to line up with the vents in the Oppo chassis, and modified the software so that the splash screen said "Lexicon"!

It did have a substantial machined aluminum front panel.

Steve
            Yes but Rotel repackaged some APC units and only charged a $100 premium. The RLC-1050 (APC H15) & RLC-1080 (APC S15) so I do not see them "pulling a Lexicon".

Comment

• srb
              • Oct 2004

Yes but Rotel repackaged some APC units and only charged a $100 premium. The RLC-1050 (APC H15) & RLC-1080 (APC S15) so I do not see them "pulling a Lexicon".
              No one implied that Rotel would try and "pull" anything. The reference was made to the possibility of Classe repackaging an Oppo for double the price (in jest, with a smiley face), and I merely pointed out an incredible real-world repackaging scenario by Lexicon.

I also happen to own the Rotel version of the APC H15 power conditioner, and it is an RLC-1040.

Steve

Comment

• TommyV
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by srb
                No one implied that Rotel would try and "pull" anything. The reference was made to the possibility of Classe repackaging an Oppo for double the price (in jest, with a smiley face), and I merely pointed out an incredible real-world repackaging scenario by Lexicon.

I also happen to own the Rotel version of the APC S15 power conditioner, and it is an RLC-1040.

Steve
                Oh good for you, you caught my mistake of hitting the 5 instead of the 4 key :T

I guess that is kind of like you hitting the S instead of the H key because your RLC-1040 is = to the APC H15 not the APC S15 oops! :E

Yea I guess these smiley faces really make a difference, I'll be sure to use them from now on. Thanks! :T

Also I never said anyone implied Rotel would do anything. I simply made a statement that they would not "pull a Lexicon" based on Rotel's history.

Comment

• srb
                  • Oct 2004

Yea I guess these smiley faces really make a difference, I'll be sure to use them from now on. Thanks! :T
                  I don't use emoticons myself, but many people do seem to like them.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"