Has anyone had their Power Supply changed in Rotel Gear?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nikos
    • Dec 2005

Has anyone had their Power Supply changed in Rotel Gear?

Hi everybody,

I've been reading quite a few posts and love this forum already. Lots of wisdom to go around.

I currently live in the USA, but have plans to relocate in the next 2 years to Europe. My concern of purchasing a Rotel Amp and or Pre-Pro is put in limbo because of the 120/220V 60/50Hz power supply differences.

I've read that a dealer can swap out the power supply and that might void the warranty...but has anyone gone through with this?

Can anyone suggest what it would cost?

Am I better off waiting (deciding where I'll be long term) before I spend my cash?? Should I just be buying speakers and other components that are either universal or the power is not an issue??

Thanks for your advise.

Nikos
    Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Never had one open to look, but if they use autotransformers it would be as simple as changing taps. Frequency will only matter on inductive devices like motors and such.

Comment

• hendge
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by soundhound
      Never had one open to look, but if they use autotransformers it would be as simple as changing taps. Frequency will only matter on inductive devices like motors and such.
      It is as simple as that. I recently just converted a 230v RSP-1068 to 120v on the advice of someone in this forum. Couldn't have been easier. Took more time to remove the cover than to make the switch :T

Comment

• nikos
        • Dec 2005

Thanks

That is great news. I can't wait to get started in this disease....

I'm really starting from scratch and have been eyeing the Rotel gear for a while, but as mentioned above hesitated for the power issues.

Do you mind telling me where did you get the part for the conversion??

"if they use autotransformers it would be as simple as changing taps"

What should I ask for...forgive my ignorance but don't know what a tap is.

Actually...do you have the 230v that you took out??? I'll be purcasing mine in the USA, so I might be able to use yours....if it's even reusable.

Thanks,

Nikos

PS: Should the lack of HDMI in the 1068 worry me?? I'm on a strict budget and would need it to last me over 3-4 years. I also plan on using a Panasonic AE-900 LCD Projector in my setup and it uses HDMI... Thanks for your advise.
        Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

No part replacement necessary, you will just have to relocate the wire on the primary side of the transformer from 120 volt input, to the 230 volt input. This could be as simple as a switch, a jumper, I am sure hendge will pop back in and tell how Rotel has it set up.

Comment

• hendge
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by soundhound
            No part replacement necessary, you will just have to relocate the wire on the primary side of the transformer from 120 volt input, to the 230 volt input. This could be as simple as a switch, a jumper, I am sure hendge will pop back in and tell how Rotel has it set up.
            soundhound is exactly right. There are no parts necessary. Every Rotel's power supply is, apparently, set up to handle either 120v or 230v. You just move the jumper to the desired position. I'll post a couple of pictures when I get back home so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

Comment

• nikos
              • Dec 2005

Sweet

It just keeps getting better.

Thanks for the quick response guys, and hendge if you did get a chance to send a pic that would be wonderful.

Nikos

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"