Classe SSP-600 and the new PS3 Slim audio output.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digitalshah
    • Nov 2008

Classe SSP-600 and the new PS3 Slim audio output.

I have a SSP-600 and thinking about getting a new PS3 Slim. Will the new PS3 internally decode and output multichannel audio (DD Tru HD & DTS HD Master Audio) through its optical output in PCM or LPCM format to be played through a SSP-600 processor without downgrading it to 2 channel? What about the regular dvd's with Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks? Thanks.
  • AV-OCD
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by digitalshah
    I have a SSP-600 and thinking about getting a new PS3 Slim. Will the new PS3 internally decode and output multichannel audio (DD Tru HD & DTS HD Master Audio) through its optical output in PCM or LPCM format to be played through a SSP-600 processor without downgrading it to 2 channel? What about the regular dvd's with Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks? Thanks.
    You can only output decoded DDTruHD and DTS Master via HDMI or multi-channel analog. The PS3 does not have the later and the 600 does not have the former. You'll need something like the Oppo or the Pioneer BD players with analog outputs for HD audio. You can use the digital out on the PS3 for standard DD and DTS though.

Comment

• wxmanunr
      • Dec 2008

Actually... (oops)

[deleted]

I misread the question! Ugh.

wxmanunr

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by AV-OCD
        You can only output decoded DDTruHD and DTS Master via HDMI or multi-channel analog. The PS3 does not have the later and the 600 does not have the former. You'll need something like the Oppo or the Pioneer BD players with analog outputs for HD audio. You can use the digital out on the PS3 for standard DD and DTS though.
        Just stick with the DTS and DD. They are full spec versions and much better then what you ever got from DVD. You would have to spend a lot to get a player which made lossless sound better through its analog outputs then lossy processed by the SSP 600.

The difference between lossless and full spec lossy is very small. In fact I read from a sound mixer that when using professional equipment to measure the difference it was only <1%

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

The difference from a measurement point of view may be small - but if using gear that is good enough then the difference is, in my opinion, night and day. Much more depth and micro details - so much that I will wait for blueray releases to get the better sound..

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by aarsoe
            The difference from a measurement point of view may be small - but if using gear that is good enough then the difference is, in my opinion, night and day. Much more depth and micro details - so much that I will wait for blueray releases to get the better sound..

You are comparing lossy from DVD to lossless on BD. The difference between full spec lossy is often indistinguishable from lossless and in some cases only slightly noticable. I have a system that is good enough to reveal the difference and lived with lossless since it was first introduced in HD DVD with the A1. I then moved to the Rotel 1069 and had both a BD and HD DVD player hooked up via HDMI playing lossless audio on 100s of tittles. Sure it sounded great, and was noticeably better then DVD.

I decided to move to a Classe SSP 600 to match my amp and improve my 2 channel SQ. At the time I was buying the Oppo BDP so figured I would just use the analog outputs for lossless.

To my surprised full spec lossy with the class sounds BETTER then lossless through the Rotel or Oppo. It really comes down to the processing, DACs etc.

I will agree that when using the same system switching between lossless and lossy you can sometimes hear lossless being better. If you introducing a better processor the full spec lossy can sound just as, and in some cases better. Resolution isnt everything.

Comment

• aarsoe
              • May 2004

With all respect - Rotel 1069 is not really the ultimate platform to make such a comparison.

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by aarsoe
                With all respect - Rotel 1069 is not really the ultimate platform to make such a comparison.

With all respect - I would say that the Rotel 1069 is certainly good enough and better then most to determine what lossless can offer. Its far far beyond what most poeple have in their system and far beyond 95% of what ever player can offer with its internal decoding, and certainly above what anyone should have in order to determine what if any a difference lossless can make over lossy.

For reference I have compared and heard lossless audio with the following equipment, and lived with most of whats in the list below

Toshiba A1
                Oppo BDP 83
                Rotel 1069
                Denon AVR 4310
                Classe SSP 800
                Sony 350
                Sony 550

Im well aware of what lossless sounds like, and well aware of the difference it has over full spec lossy. Again I am talking about full spec lossy which was almost NEVER used on DVD. I have done countless AB comparisons and lived with the combo of lossless and lossy since inception of both formats.

The difference between lossless and full spec lossy is minimal at best. Furthermore a high end processor will sound better with lossy then a mid level one with lossless. The difference between my current Oppo playing lossless over my SSP 600 playing the lossy track is quit amazing with the SSP 600 easily winning over the Oppo.

Comment

• alebonau
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

beg to differ, I would hardly say the difference between lossy and lossless possible via blu-ray is minimal at best.

I've had this comparison not jsut on my system but others as well. some with even humble AVR at the core :E shock horror !

my cousin moved on from his ssp600 and never looked back. as nice as it is, its biggest limitation is lack of capablity with HDaudio. sure you could run via mch analog but that has its own issues and always a compromise.

If cant move on, then I guess live with the best other alternative of lossy via coax/optical. But no I wouldnt be kidding myself anytime that what your missing out is only minimal at best. Because it is not.
                  "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Al -it's been a while. you doing alright?

I believe everyone here is correct. Why? How? because its an opinion based on personal experience. There is no right answer.

For some, they will conclude that a premium previous generation will produce a better experience than that of a current generation mid-tier or lower product. There is a sound argument for it. More care is taken to preserve the audio signal than what is done for high volume mass-market products.

OTOH, there are some that will conclude that hi-rez audio on any product is better than the legacy codec's. And to them, that is more correct.

There is no wrong or right. This isn't math where 1 +1 always equals 2. Just opinions.

"You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." - ben kenobi
                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"