X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rantzmar
    • May 2009

amp

I have the RB 1080 amp and was wondering if it could bridge to be use as a mono amp so I could use two. IF so, how would I bridge it?

Thanks.
    Two Channel Room

Vincent SA-T1/Telefunken/Golden Lion tubes~Rotel RB 1080~ Musical Fidelity XRAYv8/XXXpsu~MMF-.7.1~2M Black-Grado Phono 1 Analysis Plus Phono Cable~Canton 830.2~ Analysis Plus interconnects and speaker wire.
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

You can't bridge the RB-1080. The RB-1070 is bridgeable but the rest of the line isn't.
    Eric

Comment

• Glen B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2004

I'm with Eric on this. I think if Rotel intended the RB1080 to be bridged, they would have provided that option as a built-in feature. When you bridge an amp, the load it "sees" is halved. This puts greater stress on its internal components.

To bridge an amp that does not have the feature built in requires the use of an outboard bridging adapter that feeds inverted and non-inverted signals respectively to each channel. The speaker is connected across the two hot terminals of each channel. I don't know of any commercially available bridging adapters at this time. The only other option is DIY.

Comment

• rantzmar
        • May 2009

Thanks Fellas... Glen B....How do you like that Phase Liner? Feanor over at Audio Review saying its one of the worst amps he has every heard. Personally that was the first time I ever heard a negative thing about them...but I've never listened to one.
        Two Channel Room

Vincent SA-T1/Telefunken/Golden Lion tubes~Rotel RB 1080~ Musical Fidelity XRAYv8/XXXpsu~MMF-.7.1~2M Black-Grado Phono 1 Analysis Plus Phono Cable~Canton 830.2~ Analysis Plus interconnects and speaker wire.

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Was he referring to a specific model or all Phase Linear amps ? I don't think the 400 Series 2 I have is a bad sounding amp. I use it mostly for occasional, secondary 2-channel listening. I would not put too much faith in the opinions of the majority of the crowd at AR.

Comment

• rantzmar
            • May 2009

Originally posted by Glen B
            Was he referring to a specific model or all Phase Linear amps ? I don't think the 400 Series 2 I have is a bad sounding amp. I use it mostly for occasional, secondary 2-channel listening. I would not put too much faith in the opinions of the majority of the crowd at AR.

Heres the exchange:

Quote:
            Originally Posted by poppachubby

There is a local seller unloading a Phase Linear 400. Ever heard of this company Jack? They actually go under alot of people's radar. Vintage, however superbly designed with both power and dynamics. Think old school Bryston....before there was Bryston.

Here's one selling on Canuck Audio Mart in mint condition. The unit local to me is not as pristine but comes with a Bozak pre for the cool price of $300.

Minty Phase Linear...http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...400_series_ii/

Local PL w/ Bozak...http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ216741964
            I owned a Phase Linear 400 for years during out my hifi hiatus ... it is a terrible sounding amplfier ... bright, harsh, opaque: avoid it like the plague. OK, maybe it doesn't sound so bad with Bozak but that isn't a typical speaker.
            Feanor's 250 Core Classical Compositions, 3rd Ed.
            (NEW) 50 Great Chamber Works
            Two Channel Room

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"