X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • globalhusker
    • Apr 2008

2CH > Home Theater Help

Long time reader, first time contributor. Love the forum, thanks for all the information over the years. I need some help.

I have a great two channel set up that has served me well:
    RSP-1068
    RDV-1092
    RMB-1077
    Contour S 1.4.

I recently got married and bought a house and my gear is now in the basement. The speakers are slightly too big for the space and sound differently as well. Not a huge deal but given that, I’d like to consider a home theater set up and have a few questions:

1) Is a 5 speaker and sub-woofer doable with the gear I have?
    2) Are Dynaudio speakers good for home theater? Should I stay with the Contour series?
    3) What sub-woofers are good for a home theater? I’ve heard good things about Reel.
    3) Any other considerations for a home theater set up with the gear I have?

Thanks in advance for your help. Look forward to the feedback.
  • Ken49r
    • Dec 2007

Nice setup to start out with.
    Considering you have a SSP and not a 2 ch pre-amp your half way there.

This is just my theory on what I would do if I had your equipment and to do it all over again.

1-
    I would build on the Rotel-1068. Video changes yearly and it would be a waste of money to focus on a new processor anytime soon. With analogue inputs you can get every HD audio available from your player.

2-
    Next by getting matching rear speakers and a matching center, you will really appreciate that when you hear multichannel music.

3-
    If your basement sounds that bad you should work on room treatment. (Sound absorption and diffusion).

Thats where I would start anyways.

Ken

Comment

• Ken49r
      • Dec 2007

A photo of the room would be helpful.

Comment

• hurin
        • Sep 2009

If possible you should have the speakers be the same brand, it is less important what brand the sub is unless you wan't to use it when listening to music. Integrating a sub when listening to music is murder.
        From what I have seen, and heard, Dynaudio make excellent speakers. I don't know what your budget is. But I would keep the S 1.4 and use them as rear channels, then get the S 3.4 or the S 5.4 as fronts. You might not need a center if you got good enough front speakers.

To get HD sound you'll need a BD player with good multi channel out, like the Oppo BD83.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"