X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bokes
    • Sep 2005

1550 - HDMI video bypass?

is the 1550 able to pass HDMI without any image processing?
    Also the 1550- no class D amp- does this matter much?

I'm considering this receiver or a Pioneer or a Harman Kardon- so if anyone can pipe in with real world experience- much appreciated.
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

All of the 15 Series Rotel pieces bypass any processing when using HDMI.

Whether or not the RSX-1550 has class D amps is a big deal is up to you. The RSX-1550 and RSX-1560 do sound different because of the amps and it comes down to personal taste. You should try to listen to it if you can and decide for yourself.

I have the previous version, the RSX-1058, and like it quite a bit. I'm a dealer and also sell Pioneer Elite and Denon as well. I picked the Rotel because I liked it better than the other brands I sell. The Pioneer Elite receivers are pretty nice but the just don't wow me like the Rotel does.

Eric

Comment

• lotones
      • Apr 2006

Any chance it will pass a 3D signal via HDMI, or would that have to be HDMI 1.4?

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

As far as I know you need HDMI 1.4 to pass 3D.

Eric

Comment

• hurin
          • Sep 2009

The new panasonic BDT300 has dual HDMI out. One for picture and one for sound.

Comment

• bokes
            • Sep 2005

So the bypass is by default on HDMI input signal?
            The video set menu has option for 480p/720p/1080i/1080p- no bypass selection.
            What should I set this to? I only use HDMI- no component.

Comment

• lotones
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
              As far as I know you need HDMI 1.4 to pass 3D.

Eric
              Thanks for the reply. After I posted I did a google search and spent the next two hours reading about 3D and HDMI :tired: . According to this article , apparently HDMI 1.3 can pass 3D up to 1080i, though broadcast 3D is limited to 540i. Of course things might have changed since January (or last week).

Now the question is will Rotel offer upgrades to 1.4 or will we have to wait for the 20 series?

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by bokes
                So the bypass is by default on HDMI input signal?
                The video set menu has option for 480p/720p/1080i/1080p- no bypass selection.
                What should I set this to? I only use HDMI- no component.
                If you only have HDMI sources it doesn't matter what you set it at. If you look at page 17 of the manual it has a chart of input connections and resolutions and what is output. For example, a 480i input through HDMI goes out 480i and doesn't get touched.

Eric

Comment

• bokes
                  • Sep 2005

ah yes the manual- found it- always the last place I go to find the answer- thanks!

Comment

• hifiguymi
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2007

Glad to help. Things are always in the last place you look because why would you continue to look after you've found them.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"