• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JanB
    • Feb 2010

upgrade rotel RA 06

Hi

I have the rotel RA 06 with B&W CM 7.

Sound is good but the amp is to light to make the speakers sing.

I am thinking of using the ra 06 as a preamp and get a RB 1582 (2x200w)
    as endamp.

Is this a good solution?

I am new here so any advice is welcome.

Jan
  • srb
    • Oct 2004

That sounds like a reasonable thing to do. The RA-06 is rated at 70W/channel @ 8 ohm, and the CM7, while rated at a nominal 8 ohm, does dip down to 3 ohm minimum, and could certainly benefit from additional power and current delivery.

I believe the RB-1582 is the evolution of the 200W RB-1080 that many have replaced their Rotel integrated or even their 130W/channel RB-1070 with, and felt that the difference made their speakers open up and exhibit more solid bass.

For some reason, Rotel does not specifiy a 4 ohm rating on the RB-1572, but I am sure it is capable of it, just like the previous RB-1080, which I did own. The RB-1582, using the B&O Ice Power modules, is specified @ 250W/channel @ 8 ohm and doubling to 500W/channel @ 4 ohm.

I am not sure of the cost difference between the RB-1572 and RB-1582, but if they are not too far apart, I would go for a demo at my local Rotel/B&W dealer, perhaps with my RA-06 in hand, and see which one I liked better.

If not, I'm sure you would be pleased with the effect that the higher power output, heftier power supply and inceased headroom of the RB-1572 would have on your speakers.

Steve

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"