X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Superblackbird
    • Feb 2006

Please help

hello all.to be frank to you guys i am a total newbie in HT.Your guidance is much appreciated.I am planning to have 5.1 channel system in mind and want to have rotel and B&W speakers(either the 683 or the 685)- 2 Front-2 Rear,1 Centre and 1 Sub,Can you guys put in some recommendations,I am planning to get an Amp and a Receiver from Rotel to go with the system . And not to forget with power rating of100-150 per channels minimum.What will the "damage" be like?Or am i just being too much?Thank you. ops: ops:
    Superblackbird
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Superblackbird
    hello all.to be frank to you guys i am a total newbie in HT.Your guidance is much appreciated.I am planning to have 5.1 channel system in mind and want to have rotel and B&W speakers(either the 683 or the 685)- 2 Front-2 Rear,1 Centre and 1 Sub,Can you guys put in some recommendations,I am planning to get an Amp and a Receiver from Rotel to go with the system . And not to forget with power rating of100-150 per channels minimum.What will the "damage" be like?Or am i just being too much?Thank you. ops: ops:
    You can not go wrong with either the 683's or 685's.I would go with the 683's for your fronts as then you will get a bigger fuller sound with more bass.But if it is for just ht and you get a sub the 685's would do fine.
    If you consider used you can get some deals on Audiogon.If you are buying new they ussually have a package deal.If I recall correctly I paid around 2000.00 for a pair of 683's,a pair of 685's and a htm 61 center channel.
    For amp and receiver...if you are going to get a amp you might as well go the seperates route and get amp and preamp/processor.Would need to know what your budget is here as there are a lot of possibilities.Also used is a good option on a amp and preamp/processor if you can live with sending the new hd audio over pcm.Like I said there are a lot of possibilities and it all depends on what your budget is.Hope this helps.

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
      • Oct 2009

Guy is selling his 683's right now.
      "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
      -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Superblackbird
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Opus007
        You can not go wrong with either the 683's or 685's.I would go with the 683's for your fronts as then you will get a bigger fuller sound with more bass.But if it is for just ht and you get a sub the 685's would do fine.
        If you consider used you can get some deals on Audiogon.If you are buying new they ussually have a package deal.If I recall correctly I paid around 2000.00 for a pair of 683's,a pair of 685's and a htm 61 center channel.
        For amp and receiver...if you are going to get a amp you might as well go the seperates route and get amp and preamp/processor.Would need to know what your budget is here as there are a lot of possibilities.Also used is a good option on a amp and preamp/processor if you can live with sending the new hd audio over pcm.Like I said there are a lot of possibilities and it all depends on what your budget is.Hope this helps.

Ok thanks,another stupid questions-I have narrowed down to Rotel,what Amp and pre/pro would be good to the drive either the 683 or 685.Its basically 305 for music and 705 for movie.Anyway just for your ifo i still need 1 centre,2 rear and 1 sub to complete the system.My budget will be around 12k-15k max-including all the cables-ic and speakers.Thanks again for your patient. ops:
        Superblackbird

Comment

• erich
          • Jul 2006

From what I've read, the 600 series centers aren't very good. Personally, I use the 685 as a center. For rears you can use either the ds3 or the 686. For the sub I would recommend svs. With your budget, you can easily get dual PB-13 ultras. They're about $1800/ea shipped.

Just FYI, Rotel receivers/processors don't feature automatic room correction, if that matters to you. Rotel amps on the other hand are the best bang for the buck.

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
            • Oct 2009

Agree with the SVS recommendation

Dual SVS PC Ultra's would be complete overkill. With Zaph ZDT3.5's(88db efficiency) I have my gain on my sub set at about 30% and my UMC-1 has the gain set at -4db to balance things out. My room is 25' x 16' with 9' cielings and is open to a stairway and the kitchen and dining room(very open floorplan). In certain movies the sub is an absolute hammer. Transformers II was devastating. I love my sub, but two(unless you are doing it soley to even out bass response throughout the room) is absolute overkill.
            "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
            -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• erich
              • Jul 2006

Evening out the bass response was what I had in mind I use dual pb12-Nsds myself in a room similar in size to yours and bass is great in all my seats and not just in the sweet spot. I would have gone with dual ultras but the price was just a bit too high for me I can't say I miss the extra 5 or so hz though for the price/performance I got :T

But if space doesn't allow dual ultras, the svs as-eq1 should be a good addition to even out the bass too.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"