X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crummydustbunny
    • Dec 2009

Rotel rx 950 ax

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and found it after a google search of my problem, hoping someone can help me out.

I bought the amp yesterday at a pawnshop for 65 dollars, the guy turned it on for me and it seemed to power up fine. I took it home, hooked it up, and I could not get any sound. I can hear that the speaker is powered, because there is a slight hiss.

The only way I can get sound is if I plug my source (playstation 2) into the "Main in", and then I get some sound, which I control the volume with the Tv, kind of like a preamp. But it is tinny, and

I've tried plugging it into different inputs, but no sound.

Please heeeelp!!!!!!! I'll answer any questions, but please tell me I didn't blow my money on a worthless receiver..
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Can't find your particular model, but looked at similar ones. If you have two PRE-OUT plugs next to those MAIN-IN plugs, you're probably missing the jumpers.

These two are designed for you to run an EQ in-line with the signal, with no EQ in your system you need to run a set of cables from the pre-out plugs to the main-in plugs. This should get all the inputs working for you.

As far as the tinny sound, well work on that after you get the inputs working.

Kevin D.

Comment

• crummydustbunny
      • Dec 2009

Great! That sounds like the key I was missing. I downloaded the pdf version of the manual available (in case any one is interested) here http://www.rotel.com/content/manuals/rx950ax_eng.pdf

In page 5 of the pdf it says something about having jumper pins in those inputs when they are not in use. I'm going out to my Radio shack and see if they have any there, I'll let everyone know if it works out or not.

Thanks so much Kevin D!

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Probably won't have jumpers, regular RCA cables you would use to hook up anything else will accomplish the same thing.

Kevin D.

Comment

• crummydustbunny
          • Dec 2009

It seems that my local RS does not even know what they are (not surprising)

After speaking with the manager he told me that it would have to be a special order.....

But I can't wait man! I'd rather pony up for express shipping, but I'm having trouble deciding on which ones I really need.

What about these? http://www.amazon.com/100MM-BREADBOA...0119333&sr=1-1

Comment

• crummydustbunny
            • Dec 2009

I tried the RCA cables.

Everything works.

Thanks Kevin D. I'll smoke a bowl in your name while listening to my Rotel! =D

Comment

• srb
              • Oct 2004

Deleted
              Last edited by srb; 10 December 2009, 23:01 Thursday.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"