RSX 1560 firmware upgrade - help needed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Miguel
    • Mar 2006

RSX 1560 firmware upgrade - help needed!

Hi everybody,

I'm in the process of upgrading the firmware on my RSX1560 after obtaining the links and instructions from Rotel. This upgrade comes in 3 parts, main, video scaler and audio. Interestingly enough, there are 2 different computer programs that you use to flash the 1560 - one for main and scaler (nec_flash 2.7) and one for the audio update (Rotel DSP Upgrade Manager v1.0.0).

So here's my problem. The 1st application worked like a charm, and my RSX shows the updated version numbers on the display (main 1.1.6, video 1.12). However, the audio upgrade application fails to communicate with the unit (error message = "Failed the Device Initialization. Main Power Off and On the Device. and Retry"). I tried countless of combinations of COM ports and Baud Rates to no avail.

I'm hoping that someone on here can help me out -

- any idea how to make this app work? I'm running Windows 7.
    - any alternative software that I could use to perform the upgrade?
    - worst case, is it a problem to leave the audio module on its original version? I'm not sure which version I'm on, since the front panel doesn't display this information.

Thanks a lot in advance for any guidance/suggestions!

Miguel
    Last edited by Miguel; 11 August 2009, 02:57 Tuesday.
  • Pitou5
    • Mar 2006

The Audio DSP is not displayed holding the Mute.

The only thing I might see is your windows version. I did all the upgrades using Windows XP.

Pitou!

Comment

• Miguel
      • Mar 2006

Pitou, thanks for responding. I was afraid that someone might suggest that
      I will wait a little and see if anyone offers any other suggestions to try first, but if not, I'll have to downgrade my computer temporarily. I think I still have a Windows XP DVD somewhere...

Comment

• grit
        • Jan 2005

Miguel, you may want to install XP as a dual boot option. I believe Vista/7 will let you do it natively now. That way you don't have to uninstall what you have.

For what it's worth, I had TONS of problems trying to update via a USB -> serial adapter. I even went out of my way to use the Belkin one here that people have had success with. There were no updated drivers for Vista, so I had to use my XP laptop (and even that didn't work).

Frankly, I think the best option is to get a serial interface card and do the update that way. It will likely work via Vista/7 if you aren't using a usb->serial adapter.

Comment

• Miguel
          • Mar 2006

Hey Garrett, thanks for your thoughts. I am using a USB/serial adapter since my laptop doesn't have a serial port (who does any longer??). The frustrating part is that the first 2 updates worked flawlessly, seems like the nec_flash application is better written. It's that silly Visual Basic app (DSP Upgrade Manager) that doesn't work -- I wish Rotel had written a more professional tool, it feels so amateurish.

Were you able to get it to work at all with an adapter? I don't have a desktop computer and unless I'm missing something, I don't see how I can add a serial card to my laptop.

thanks
          M.

Comment

• grit
            • Jan 2005

The adapter was a complete failure, even under Windows XP. However, in my case, none of the applications worked. I've been playing with serial ports since the old 300 baud modems, so i'm relatively familiar with how they work. The usb->serial adapter is trying to mimic an old system. I imagine if the creaters of these devices updated their drivers, we'd be fine.

*** Please read the next post before you act on this ***
            So, being in the same boat as you, I'm going to try a hardware solution, such as this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...yba-_-39328005 As its a hardware device, the native serial drivers within any Windows OS should function just fine, eliminating the suspected problem of usb->serial adapter drivers. I've not yet tried it though. However, i can tell you that when I finally hooked my receiver to a computer with a native serial port, the updates were speedy and flawless.

I totally agree - Rotel should have by now updated the interface. There's no great reason why they can't move to a USB interface and make life easier, even if they want to restrict access to dealers.
            Last edited by grit; 11 August 2009, 14:54 Tuesday.

Comment

• grit
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by grit
              So, being in the same boat as you, I'm going to try a hardware solution, such as this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...yba-_-39328005 As its a hardware device, the native serial drivers within any Windows OS should function just fine, eliminating the suspected problem of usb->serial adapter drivers. I've not yet tried it though. However, i can tell you that when I finally hooked my receiver to a computer with a native serial port, the updates were speedy and flawless.
              I made a mistake there. The above-listed item is actually a USB-based adapter card. Most of the less-expensive cards are it seems. The advantage to the above-listed card is that there are current drivers for it, even including Windows 7 drivers. The Belkin adapter I had only had Vista-32 bit drivers, last updated in 2007.

The correct card would be one such as this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16839158006 As near as I can tell, the more expensive ones are actual hardware serial cards with true FIFO chips, etc. The other cards are software emulation.

For all I know, the software emulation SHOULD work *IF* the drivers are error free, up-to-date, and exist for the operating system on your computer. The first one i listed seems to keep drivers current on all major OS'es (Windows, Mac, Linux).

Sorry for the mistake and any confusion that came with it.

Comment

• Miguel
                • Mar 2006

Thanks so much, Garrett. I'll give this a careful read and investigate your links tonight when I get home.

Do you happen to have an idea of what's included in the audio portion of the firmware update? In other words, what would I be missing if I kept it at the original version, while upgrading the main and scaler modules?

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Rotel has yet to release the firmware files. What version did your unit start with? The audio update came out very early on and chances are you all ready have it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Miguel
                    • Mar 2006

Kevin,

The original version numbers were 1.1.1-080925, Video v.1.00. I don't know how to check the audio version, could you let me know?

The successful part of the updates I did yesterday, got me to main 1.1.6-090424, video 1.12. I got the firmware files through my dealer, and I know my rep got them from Rotel per my request.

It'd be great news to know I'm current in the audio part. Pls let me know how to check that version number and I'll let you know what it is.

Thanks!

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

I'm pretty sure 1.1.2 shipped with the latest audio file. You're probably on DSP 1.11.

Kevin D.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2007

To check the audio version you need to hook up a composite or S-video cable from the monitor out to your display (and switch inputs) and then hold the mute button down. It will pop up on screen with the main and scalar versions as well. I don't know why it doesn't show up on the front panel like the other two, but that's the way it is.

Eric

Comment

• Miguel
                          • Mar 2006

Thanks, Eric. Is there a way to see that info on the main OSD that comes out of the HDMI video out? That's the way I have it set up at the moment. I tried, but when I turn on the OSD and hold the mute button down, the OSD goes blank

Kevin - do you know the fixes implemented in DSP 1.1.2 versus 1.1.1?

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

No idea what fixes what. Maybe they will eventually have some release notes.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Miguel
                              • Mar 2006

Guys, I'm happy to be back to report success

I'll save you all the gory details on how I finally got XP installed on a secondary partition on my computer... It wasn't easy by any stretch of the imagination. However I finally managed to make it work, installed the DSP Upgrade Manager (not without its own problems, as I had to register a missing OCX manually), and was able to flash the receiver through my USB-to-Serial adapter.

Whew. So I'm now on DSP 1.12, i.e. fully updated in all modules.

BTW - it was well worth it. The main problem that was bugging me which caused me to want to update the firmware in the first place was the receiver's lag when trying to lock onto the different bitstreams. It's working much better now!

Anyway - If anybody happens to be going through something similar and I can be of help, just holler

Comment

• lefcourt
                                • Dec 2010

Hello,
                                In case anyone happens upon this post, as I did, as the only hit on "Failed the device initialization"...

I struggled with my Rotel RSX-1550 on this for hours. I went through multiple cables, multiple refreshes of the amp, multiple operating systems, multiple drivers for the Serial -> USB converter, etc. For me, what ultimately was causing this was that I hadn't selected 115200 baud for the transfer rate in the DSP Upgrade Manager. Any other value would result in this error.

I hope this helps someone avoid what I just went through...

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"