X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bertie930
    • May 2009

Any tips on bi-amping?

Hello to everyone.

I'm new to this forum and was told this is the place to talk Rotel.
    I've just bought an RC870BX pre-amp and two RB850 power amps. Having always had integrated amps I decided to try something different for a change. I have a pair of Mission 752 Freedom speakers (four b. posts) and want to try bi-amping.

Can anyone explain the best way to go about this, connections wise? I don't want to blow anything whilst experimenting.

Also, can anyone suggest a brand of phono/rca interconnect and also speaker cable which won't cost the earth but work well with Rotel equipment?

Any help and ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you.
  • Nuthed
    • Jan 2007

I would use one amp per side in a "vertical" bi-amp configuration. Instead of using 1 amp for low pass duty and another for high pass. This way each amp will only be handling one low pass section of a speaker thereby decreasing the load on the power supply, at least for one amp. Instead of letting one amp cruise easy by driving both high pass sections and the other busting ass driving 2 low pass sections.

You'll need a pair of Y adapters with 2 male ends and 1 female end each. I'll tell you what to do for 1 amp, then you just need to do the same for the other amp:

Connect the female end of a Y adapter to the end of the interconnect cable from your pre-amp's left channel output. Connect the 2 male ends of the Y adapter into the left and right inputs on one amplifier. Connect the amplifier to a speaker with the left channel feeding either the high or low pass section of the speaker and the right channel of the amplifier feeding the remaining half. It doesn't matter which is which. You'll be running the amplifier in stereo mode, with the exception that each channel is driving 1/2 of a speaker.

Do the same for the right channel output of your pre-amp.

Be sure to remove your speaker's jumper plates. :T

As far as brand names, it doesn't really matter in my expirience as long as you don't go super cheap.
    Last edited by Nuthed; 01 June 2009, 10:19 Monday.
    Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
    RB980-BX driving mains
    Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
    Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
    Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
    SVS PB-12

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"