X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nayr
    • Jun 2005

Pro Amp for Nat P's.

Hello, hello.

I built a pair of the magnificent speakers last year, but they have been running on a amp which I feel may be underpowered for them. I have a friend who is selling a Ashly SRA-120 pro amp for quite cheap, like the one in this auction:

Ashly SRA-120

Does anybody have any comments or insight into using this amp to drive a pair of Nat P's?
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

"The amplifier will deliver 60 watts per channel into 4 ohms stereo, 45 watts per channel into 8 ohms stereo, or 120 watts total into 8 ohms mono-bridged." Not a lot a power there. Will your friend let you try before you buy?

Comment

• joecarrow
      • Apr 2005

I don't think that the amp linked is really powerful enough. Sure, its great that it's rated to work at 4 ohms, but if I was upgrading to an amp for the Nat P's I'd go for at least double that.

Buying new, I'd probably try a Behringer A500. Disclaimer- I haven't heard one first hand, but they seem to get good reviews. They're rated at 230 watts into 4 ohms, so they ought to give a nice dynamic performance.

Unless you're presently powering them with a 20 watt boom-box, and your friend barely wants any money, then I wouldn't see that particular Ashly as being very attractive. It would probably sound great at low to moderate listening levels, but you'll really be missing out at anything close to what the Natalie Portmans are capable of.
      -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Exocer
        • Feb 2006

I actually use my natalie p's with a behringer A 500.

The result is nothing short of outstanding. Words can't explain the improvement in sound quality, particularly at higher output levels compared to my AVR 235's internal amp.

Comment

• nayr
          • Jun 2005

Thanks for the replies, it's a "hell-of-a-deal" deal that I'm trying to decide if I can actually use or not. But I should probably pass as it still won't be powerful enough to make it worthwhile.

Comment

• hawkfan
            • Feb 2007

I too was looking for an amp for my Nat P's. I ended up ordering the Onkyo A9555 integrated amp. I considered the Behringer, Rotel, and Audiosource. I picked the Onkyo because it delivers 200wrms per channel into a 4 ohm load and received favorable reviews. The Onkyo should be here by next week and I'll probably give a review then. I've found the Audiosource Amp 3 for about the same price as the Behringer. Not quite the same amount of power but perhaps better quality. It's 150wrms per channel at 8 ohms and is 2 ohm stable. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your Nat P's as much as I am enjoying mine

Comment

• geno742
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by nayr
              Hello, hello.

I built a pair of the magnificent speakers last year, but they have been running on a amp which I feel may be underpowered for them. I have a friend who is selling a Ashly SRA-120 pro amp for quite cheap, like the one in this auction:

Ashly SRA-120

Does anybody have any comments or insight into using this amp to drive a pair of Nat P's?
              I'm upgrading the electronics for my pair of Nat. P's also.
              Been looking at the Emotiva ultra theater set that will fill the bill for me. 750 watt amp @ 8ohms with a matched pre/pro with lots of bells and whistles for $899.00 total plus free shipping!
              Check it out.
              This with my sonosub will make me a very happy camper.

Comment

• mazurek
                • Mar 2006

Get the Behringer and your friend's amps, never enough amps!

Comment

• nayr
                  • Jun 2005

I ended up ordering the A500.... and splurged on the parts for a second sub (12" Dayton HF) to be used as bass bins.

Now I need some sort of preamp. I have a unfinished passive project with a stepped attenuator, but am not sure if I am going to use it for this stereo.

Comment

• JonP
                    • Apr 2006

Ah... was going to reply yesterday. Since it would seem you ordered from Parts Express, hope you clicked the link (is it still providing a bit of kickback for this forum?) at the top of the page... Wow, even has a A500 in the graphic..

In case anyone didn't know, its free shipping this month.. (till 5-13) That would save me in So CA nearly $30. on the A500, and those RSS315's ain't light either. You did pretty good!! Time to order some heavy stuff... :W

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"