X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dynamowhum
    • Aug 2006

Bass Bin help please

Well guys I just cut up my parts for 4 Nat Ps. I am waiting for the glue to dry on the 2nd box to have enough clamps to glue up the 3rd. I only have 10 clamps that are greater than 24" so it is a slow process. Brought the parts in from outside as it is getting dark and I have no shop, so I will finish glueing up everything but the inner baffles and front baffles tonight in the theater while watching TV.

Here is where I need help. My room is 15'X20'X9.25' with an attached computer niche. All together the volume is roughly 3440 cubed. I have 2 15" atlas subs in an IB and have the DM RS WMTW center. Would any one be so kind as to recommend some woofers to take care of the mid bass and box volume for me? Thanks in advance.

I will be actively XOing the bass bins. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by dynamowhum; 25 October 2006, 18:10 Wednesday. Reason: Need to change title
  • dynamowhum
    • Aug 2006

Here is a couple pix of the boxes. These are for the non-BSC version of the Nat Ps. Cheers
    Attached Files

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

What size bass bins do you want to live with? Are the NatP's going to sit on top of them?

For bass bins you could run a couple RS 10"s or a single RS 12" on each side since the room isn't that big.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dynamowhum
        • Aug 2006

How would 2 Dayton RS 270s per bass bin do? Thanks

Comment

• dynamowhum
          • Aug 2006

Sorry Thomas posted before I saw your reply. I can actually live with any size as everything will end up behind a screen wall. I do plan on having the Nat Ps sit on top but I can be very flexible. Thanks.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Actually I'd use the RSS265

Decide on the height you want for your tweeters and we'll create a box size to get you there

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dynamowhum
              • Aug 2006

A tweeter height of 42" would be fine. Thanks

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

You could squeek by with a pair of 10"s, but there wouldn't be much room for error with the driver spacing.

If you went to a single 12 you'd save money, (over a pair of RSS265) and not have to worry about sandwiching 2-10"s in a shortish box

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dynamowhum
                  • Aug 2006

RS 265 12" it is then. Thanks for the input.
                  Last edited by dynamowhum; 26 October 2006, 13:14 Thursday. Reason: wrong descriptor

Comment

• dynamowhum
                    • Aug 2006

Quick question. It is often mentioned to use a 3/4" round over on front baffles, will a 3/4" chamfer work as well?

Comment

• dynamowhum
                      • Aug 2006

One more thing I really need this sealed as there will only be 24" behind the screen wall.

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

No reread my posts

Use one of the RS-315HF per side

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dynamowhum
                          • Aug 2006

Okay I gotcha now. I had in my head that the 265 and the 270 where 10" and 12". With my tweeter being 11" or dead center vertically of my box I could go with as much as 31" bass bin height correct?

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                            • May 2006

Not to threadcap, but I thought the RSS315HF-4 is a subwoofer and not a woofer. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Comment

• dynamowhum
                              • Aug 2006

That is what it is listed as and that is why I didn't ask about it earlier as this is a bass bin. It does seem to go against what little I know, but I am just a noob. I want upper bass fidelity from these figuring the IB will take care of the low end.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Inu_Yasha
                                Not to threadcap, but I thought the RSS315HF-4 is a subwoofer and not a woofer. Correct me if I'm wrong...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-464
                                This will tell you why it's a woofer too...he's only going to be running these up to 250Hz or so.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dynamowhum
                                  One more thing I really need this sealed as there will only be 24" behind the screen wall.
                                  Sealed is what you want.
                                  Okay I gotcha now. I had in my head that the 265 and the 270 where 10" and 12". With my tweeter being 11" or dead center vertically of my box I could go with as much as 31" bass bin height correct?
                                  Sorry in haste I miss read the drawing. Yes, you can to taller and a pair of 10"s will fit

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dynamowhum
                                    • Aug 2006

Whichever would give the higher fidelity is the setup I want. Here I'm guessing but the 2 10s would be more efficent and therefore have less distortion because of lower power needs to get the same spl?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

In this situation the performance differences between a pair of RSS265-10"s vs a single RSS315HF-12" won't be an issue.

If the room were bigger and you needed extra output, the 2-10"s would play somewhat louder with lower distortion.

Since the room isn't huge and since you have a good sub the workload on these drivers isn't much. So save money and use one RS315HF per side

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dynamowhum
                                        • Aug 2006

I await your input of swami of infrasonics. Thanks.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

I await your input of swami of infrasonics. Thanks.
                                          Input for what? The specifics of the box?

Make it the height you need to have the NatP's tweeter where you want it. Since 24" is your max depth that's how deep the box should be. Width really doesn't matter 16" or more is fine.

None of these dimensions are critical since we're not really making a 'tuned' box per say.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dynamowhum
                                            • Aug 2006

Okay thats all I needed. That was in my original post and what you said you would help me with. Thanks.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

I know I was just teasing. I had to attend to some fairly intensive snow blowing hence the delay in responding.

Use some ladder bracing to stiffen the walls of the enclosure.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dynamowhum
                                                • Aug 2006

Yeah no problem I was cleaning out the wash room all day. As I have no garage I store a lot of small power tools in there. I just got through watching the weather channel you guys are getting pounded in Oct. Hey just look out for that global warming up there.

Comment

• dynamowhum
                                                  • Aug 2006

Just took the clamps off my first bass bin. I went ahead and placed the Nat P box on top. I have decided to build the bass bins first due to being cheaper to build than the Nats. I ordered the woofers for it yesterday from PE. I am going to see how it sounds with 1 10" right now. If it isn't enough I will put in another. With everything else I need for the theater and Xmas coming I am trying to keep cost down. Cheers.

Comment

• dynamowhum
                                                    • Aug 2006

Got my speakers in yesterday. My next days off I will but the holes for the drivers and glue the baffles in. Wanted to wait on the baffles until the drivers got in to make sure everything would clear.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Wanted to wait on the baffles until the drivers got in to make sure everything would clear.
                                                      Good idea that everyone should follow.... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"