15 series amps stackable? Not according to manual!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluray
    • Jan 2009

15 series amps stackable? Not according to manual!

Can I stack my 1570 on my 1575 with no heat concerns?
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Not according to the manual! But why not try it, the new amps run very cool, so I think its probably OK. I'm more interested to hear what you think of the combo, as I've just ordered the same pair.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• bluray
      • Jan 2009

Well, I found that the brochure conflicts with the manual. Manual as I recall indicates 4 inches clearance needed (including on top), but brochure notes "...can be stacked into a rack one against another without concern that they will overheat."

Do you folks think the brochure assumes that a proper rack installation includes special temperature regulation measures (fans, etc.)? Also, a photo in the brochure shows the pre-pro atop the amp; the amp must be the cooler running of the two? One thing I will say is that over the years sales collateral has often shown stacked components from one manufacturer that could never be used that way (may just be that it was a matter of efficiently getting in a single photo the "new lineup of gear").

Comment

• Legairre
        • Jan 2002

I have my 10 series amps stacked with a 1/2 inch spacer under the feet and they only get warm. They actually feel the same as before stacking them so I would think the cooler running 15 series wouldn't be a problem at all.

BTW my 10 series manual says the same thing about 4" clearance.
        Attached Files
        "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
        Radden Home Theater

Comment

• wz2p7j
          • Sep 2006

Hmmm

So, the series 15 is rackable but not stackable? Interesting. Chris

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

I think it's more liability for people with no common sense. Most racks have active cooling and a large open area behind. I'm sure the 15 series will be fine in a typical cabinet stacked on the feet that come with it.

Now if you remove the feet like you would in a rack mount situation and shove it in a cabinet with no space on any side, sure it's probably going to overheat.

Better to have people with common sense know if they stuff is running too hot, rather then show in the manual that you can stack em.

Kevin D.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Digital amps usually don't have a heat issue, not the same with Class A and A/B I can warm-up my room :B
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• esaleris
                • Dec 2007

I think that caution warning is just to absolve the manufacturer - and rightly so - from abuse stemming from bad user placement.

The realities of your situation may be that there is no problem at all - I put my RMB-1075 in an open rack, but the shelf above it is only 1.5" from the top, but the sides are open and there are no issues.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"