X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • renpar61
    • Jul 2007

Which settings for PS3?

I have a PS3 connected to RSX-1057 via toslink audio (the HDMI goes straight to the TV, since the 1057 doesn't process HDMI audio). Which settings should I use on the PS3 and on the receiver to take advantage of the best audio decoding?
  • Claw
    • Apr 2005

From http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=931796:

PS3 connected to a recent vintage HDTV with HDMI and connected to an older AVR via optical digital audio cable (i.e., Toslink).

In this case you should use an HDMI cable to connect from the HDMI output on your PS3 directly an available HDMI input on your HDTV. Then use an optical digital cable (i.e., Toslink) to connected the PS3 digital audio output to an available optical digital input on your AVR. Your AVR will receive the digital audio data (with the PS3 set to provide bitstream output via it optical digital audio output) from the PS3 via the optical cable. The AVR will decode/process it then output the audio to the connected speakers. The HD video will be sent directly to your HDTV via the HDMI connection. Note that optical digital is limited to only carrying the basic Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound formats (essentially as provided with DVD players but in some cases with BD's you will get somewhat higher bit rates) and cannot carry the highest fidelity surround sound formats supported on some Blu-ray Discs. This is a limitation of having an AVR that does not support HDMI inputs, but in this case the PS3 can be configured to still be compatible with your existing equipment.

Suggested PS3 Audio and Video additional Settings for Case 5 (starting from XMB and Settings drop down menu):

* XMB >>> Settings >>> Display Settings >>> Video Output Settings = HDMI >>> Setting Method=AUTOMATIC

* XMB >>> Settings >>> Video Settings* >>> BD/DVD Auto Output Format (Optical Digital)=BITSTREAM

* XMB >>> Settings >>> Sound Settings >>> Audio Output Settings >>> Select the connector..= DIGITAL OUTPUT (OPTICAL)

* "Video Settings" was called "BD/DVD Settings" with PS3 firmware prior to version 2.50

Comment

• Claw
      • Apr 2005

I was going to post something similar last night, but I was too tired and went to bed.

I received my RSX-1058 a few days ago, and after letting it warm up to room temperature, plugged everything in.

I got the RDV-1040 working - will be using that purely to play CD's, so then I moved on to the PS3.

From AVS Forums (linked above), I have the PS3 configured as follows:
      PS3 connected to a recent model AVR, with HDMI inputs, and the AVR HDMI output is connected to your recent vintage HDTV.

In this case you can simply use an HDMI cable to connect from the HDMI output on your PS3 to an available HDMI input on your AVR. Then use another HDMI cable to connected the HDMI output of your AVR to an available HDMI input on your HDTV. Your AVR will receive the digital audio data (decoded and provided in multi-channel LPCM format) from the PS3, will process it then output the audio to the connected speakers. The AVR will also pass the digital video data on to your HDTV for display.

Suggested PS3 Audio and Video additional Settings for Case 4 (starting from XMB and Settings drop down menu):

* XMB >>> Settings >>> Display Settings >>> Video Output Settings = HDMI >>> Setting Method=AUTOMATIC

* XMB >>> Settings >>> Video Settings* >>> BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)=LINEAR PCM

* XMB >>> Settings >>> Sound Settings >>> Audio Output Settings >>> HDMI >>> Method for Setting the Output Format=AUTOMATIC

* "Video Settings" was called "BD/DVD Settings" with PS3 firmware prior to version 2.50
      I'm getting 1080p video via HDMI, but no sound. I'm guessing it's a configuration issue with the 1058, I'll play around with it more today - is there a menu setting I s hould be looking for?

Thanks,

Comment

• kmcheng
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by renpar61
        I have a PS3 connected to RSX-1057 via toslink audio (the HDMI goes straight to the TV, since the 1057 doesn't process HDMI audio). Which settings should I use on the PS3 and on the receiver to take advantage of the best audio decoding?
        Sorry to disappoint you, but with the PS3 and the 1057 there is basically no way for you to take advantage of the lossless codecs. The toslink cannot pass 5.1 channels of multiple PCM from the PS3 to the 1057.

If you really want to lossless codecs, you would either need to change your receiver or get a new blu-ray player.

Comment

• Legairre
          • Jan 2002

kmcheng is correct the PS3 only outputs HD audio lossless codecs through HDMI. If you get a new BD player you'll have to find one that does internal decoding and outputs through it's multi-channel outs to the 1057's multi-channel inputs. You'll then get the lossless codecs as PCM. The only thing you wont' be able to do over the multi-channel inputs is over PLIIx, DTS-ES etc... So if it's a 5.1 BD you won't be able to spread it over all seven speakers.
          "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
          Radden Home Theater

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"