X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bokes
    • Sep 2005

New Set-up advice?

I will be moving to a new apartment soon and will be updating my gear.
    I currently have a Rotel RSX-1056 Receiver going out to a pair of B&W CM2 bookshelf speakers.
    I will stick with Rotel, but need to decide if I should go with the new Receiver or step up to a processor/amp.

I have the CM2's on stands and unfortunately, my wife no longer wants speakers on the floor. (we have a small space and a new kid- so it kinda makes sense) I'm am thinking about going with the B&W FPM series.
    I'm not thrilled about the FPM's. I haven't heard them yet but a few folks have already told me they are not that great. But I love the pairing of the Rotel with the CMs- so I'll give the FPM a test listen.

I will use this for 2 ch audio and 5.1 movie sound.

I am also looking into sound proof/damp solutions with a contractor.

I realize my situation is not the best, but i still want to maintain some sort of quality to my HiFi system- even if it's at lower volumes.

My main question here is in regards to these conditions - will I gain much by going processor/amp? By this I mean sound quality not volume.
    Or since I am going with wall speakers and can not really unleash the system- should I save $$ and go with receiver?

I will try to have my dealer configure a test listen- but I wanted to get some thoughts from users.

Thanks much
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

First off, look at the VM6. It is based on the CM1 and uses the same drivers. If you like the CM2s you have then look at the VM6.

It's a tough call looking at the RSX-1560. I haven't sold one yet and we haven't put it on display either (hopefully soon). I'm sure the RSP-1570 and RMB-1565 will sound a little better but I don't know how much yet. The separate Rotel preamps have always been designed as a preamp from the ground up. The power supplies are really robust and the internal layout is better. Without amplifiers to worry about they can design the board placement for the best in sound quality.

Let us know what you decide and make sure you look at the VM6. It's better than the FMP5s in my opinion.

Eric

Comment

• artv4
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by hifiguymi
      First off, look at the VM6. It is based on the CM1 and uses the same drivers. If you like the CM2s you have then look at the VM6.

It's a tough call looking at the RSX-1560. I haven't sold one yet and we haven't put it on display either (hopefully soon). I'm sure the RSP-1570 and RMB-1565 will sound a little better but I don't know how much yet. The separate Rotel preamps have always been designed as a preamp from the ground up. The power supplies are really robust and the internal layout is better. Without amplifiers to worry about they can design the board placement for the best in sound quality.

Let us know what you decide and make sure you look at the VM6. It's better than the FMP5s in my opinion.

Eric
      i am using the vm6 and its awesome!!!!
      GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• bokes
        • Sep 2005

Really? Sounds great. Thanks.
        And the VM series is cheaper than the FPM- right?

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

Yes. The VM6 is $450.00US ea and the FPM5 is $800.00US ea.

Eric

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"