X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

1072 cd player, will it play copies ?

Hi guys, here's one for the 1072 cd player owners.

With all the free music around these days, via downloads, or just burning some copies of a mates cd collection, the need to have a player that can play copied cds is becoming more and more desireable.

For reasons unknown to me my Rotel rcd 950 plays some copies but will not play others. Besides the fact that it was probably made prior to the cd burning/mp3 craze, and was not really designed to play copies, perhaps someone could explain why it plays some and not others?

Anyway, while contemplating any future cd player purchase, it occurred to me that perhaps current model cd players also suffer the same inability to play copies.

Hence the question, will the rcd 1072 play all copies thrown at it or is it also fussy about the discs/formats around.

Also are there any cd players that will play everything?

Thanks Pete
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Most CD players can play CD-R discs*, even older players. If your player is being finicky with CD-Rs, try a different brand of CD-R or try burning at a slower speed (I commonly find that discs burned at high speed, say higher than 16X or so, often have issues playing on a CD player).

CD-RW discs are a different story. Many older players can't read them. Many newer players advertise "CD-RW compatibility", or are just compatible even without stating it. The only way to know for sure is to try one and see if it plays.

I can't speak for the Rotel players specifically, though. Just speaking from experience with other brands (Sony, etc.)

* Note: This post refers entirely to discs burned as audio CDs. If you're burning MP3 files directly to a CD (without converting to CD-DA) you will only be able to play on MP3 compatible players.

Comment

• Tino D'Voe
      • Jan 2002

I use my 1072 with burned discs and I've never had a problem.

I've burned them up to 32x speed and it still reads them without a glitch. I'm using Ridata blanks and a pioneer 215D internal drive if that helps.

Comment

• gianni
        • Nov 2002

As another reference point, I too use my 1072 with burned CD-R's and it has worked very well. In fact, it is better overall with CD-R's than my Denon 2910 DVD player which does support more disc types.

Comment

• bleeding ears
          • Nov 2004

Thanks guys, from what has been said it may very well be the discs and not the player that is the problem. Or more correctly the actual quality of the burning of the data to disc that is the problem.

I will have to take more care with speeds/disc brands etc.

If I am not getting the burning process correct I cannot blame the player for not playing the disc, however what my player will not play another similar Rotel cd player will.
          And what the other Rotel player will not play, sometimes my player will play.

It is hard to make sense of what is occurring sometimes and having a player that plays everything without any problems would be nice,if that is possible in a cd player.

From what has been said, I take it that the 1072 has no problems with any burned cd copies (not including mp3's) which is good to hear.

Although technology has given us the ability to access music more easily, the technology is not without its glitches.

Everywhere I go, work, etc this seems to be a common theme.

Technology is great when it works and when it doesnt work, it is very frustrating, as I am sure you are all aware.

Pete

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

If you stick to better discs, Some Brands of Fuji-Film (Japan made) are good. I normally stick to Taiyo-Yuden discs and have YET to have any disc not play in any player I can find. Even with burning at 52x speed. And the quality of the discs are very very good.

Might want to try them and see how you do... It also depends on your burner, which if you read the reviews from cdfreaks.com will give you a good idea on the best burners out there and even "hacked" or modified firmware to make specific burners burn evern better. Basically higher quality at faster speeds than the original firmware that is put out by the manufacturer. There's some smart people out there!
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• cfrizz
              • Apr 2006

I have never had any problems playing copies on either of my Rotel players. the 855 & now the 1072.
              Cathy
              ---------
              Sunfire TGP III, Sunfire Cinema Grande 405wpc 5 channel Amplifier, :B Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Sony PS-454 Turntable, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston 920 Center Channel, Boston PV600 Sub Woofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Comment

• wgriel
                • May 2006

I had problems playing some copied CDs with my previous CD player (a denon), but since I picked up the RCD-1072 I have yet to come across a disk it won't play.

Comment

• H.Donald
                  • Aug 2004

My 1072 has never not played a disc...from dirt cheap CD-Rs to more quality brands.
                  On the other hand,my Denon is very picky as to what it will play.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"