Clear All
  • yanies
    • Jun 2008

Rotel 1092 and Bose 901

Hi

I have the RB 1080 and I am planning to purchase the RB 1092
    The Bose 901 are 450 WPC
    and the RB 1092 is 500WPC

Is it safe for this kind of change regarding the Watts?
    I mean 500 WPC are too much for the Bose 901?
    Or its ok ?

Thank you all

John
  • Ferres
    • Jan 2007

Should be just fine.

Comment

• WI Rotel
      • Jul 2006

The bose 901's will take essentially any amp. It is all predicated on being an all midrange speaker, ever heard of some one blowing up their midrange????
      The 901 has always been an enigma. It is basicly a PA speaker made up to be hi-fi. On paper it is one of the poorest speakers ever made, highs only extend to about 16khz and bass to about 80. However they can sound surprisingly good with a good amp while only covering 90 % of the audio spectrum. It points out how loudness is crucial to sound reproduction, after a certain sound pressure the limits of the audio spectrum are really not important, what becomes important is that whatever is reproduced is not distorted. That is why the 901 still survives while its sonic range is mediocre at best, what it does reproduce contains of the all the music that most people hear and it can do it to prodigous levels without audible distortion. nothing beats the 901 (802) for an open venue or live music.

Comment

• eelco74
        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by yanies
        Hi

I have the RB 1080 and I am planning to purchase the RB 1092
        The Bose 901 are 450 WPC
        and the RB 1092 is 500WPC

Is it safe for this kind of change regarding the Watts?
        I mean 500 WPC are too much for the Bose 901?
        Or its ok ?

Thank you all

John
        John,

It should be okay, since the 1092 can produce the 500 watt without too mutch distortion. People rarely blow up speakers with large amps, but mostly with small amps beiing pushed to the limit. The distorion and clipping created by the amp will destroy the speaker in the end.

Only question left is why you should connect a 901 to your Rotel amp. The speaker is totally outclassed.
        Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
        Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
        Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• WI Rotel
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by eelco74
          John,

Only question left is why you should connect a 901 to your Rotel amp. The speaker is totally outclassed.
          Not true! The 901 can sound very good, in its element. To use it in a small room as a audiophile speaker it is mediocre, however, put it in an auditorium and its great. Different venues different speakers! You may see abbey road using 802's as monitors, however, you will never see BW's in an auditorium, music hall or theater or dance hall. If the recording you are listening to is of a "live" performance the sound being reproduced by our BW's probably originated from BOSE 802's to begin with. That is why I've always frowned upon peple that insist on crapping on the 901, it's simply not a genuine "home speaker"!

Comment

• Mig17
            • Jan 2008

1080 is 1000 $ and 1092 is 2500 $
            1092 is better but if you want get the difference between 1080 and 1092 you may need bery good and revealing of other equiment beside like Speakers, cables, CD player..
            Other wise you dont hear any difference of the gap 1500$

Comment

• Nuthed
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by eelco74
              QFT. :T
              Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
              RB980-BX driving mains
              Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
              Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
              Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
              SVS PB-12

Comment

• Nuthed
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                Not true! The 901 can sound very good, in its element. To use it in a small room as a audiophile speaker it is mediocre, however, put it in an auditorium and its great. Different venues different speakers! You may see abbey road using 802's as monitors, however, you will never see BW's in an auditorium, music hall or theater or dance hall. If the recording you are listening to is of a "live" performance the sound being reproduced by our BW's probably originated from BOSE 802's to begin with. That is why I've always frowned upon peple that insist on crapping on the 901, it's simply not a genuine "home speaker"!
                What the hell are you talking about?
                Don't you have some untruths to spread about Dolby True HD, dts MA, and PCM? ;zx
                Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
                RB980-BX driving mains
                Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
                Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
                SVS PB-12

Comment

• WI Rotel
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Nuthed
                  What the hell are you talking about?
                  Don't you have some untruths to spread about Dolby True HD, dts MA, and PCM? ;zx
                  Ignorance is bliss :roll:

If you can find a company that has equipped more live venues around the world than Bose I suggest you buy some of its stock!!!
                  If you find a single live venue other than a studio that has been equipped with BW's let me know too!
                  Different speakers for different applications.
                  I may be a little new to the new surround formats (and still learning!), but as far as speakers I can certainly lecture the likes of you :rofl: .

Comment

• mjb
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

If you can find a company that has equipped more live venues around the world than Bose I suggest you buy some of its stock!!!
                    Marshall ?? Just a guess...
                    If you find a single live venue other than a studio that has been equipped with BW's let me know too!
                    The Forty Part Motet The first one Google found, but you only wanted one.
                    Last edited by mjb; 08 July 2008, 16:36 Tuesday.
                    - Mike

Main System:
                    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Politeness and on-topic please. The question has been answered. If you would like to discuss whether the 901 is a good speaker or not, please start a new thread in one of the audio forums.

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

• DL86
                        • Sep 2005

The more power the better. My paradigm studio 100's were limited in output with the rb-1080 with the rb-1090 my speakers would play louder with less distortion. Yes I play my music very loud.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by mjb
                          Marshall ?? Just a guess...

The Forty Part Motet The first one Google found, but you only wanted one.
                          Good tries! However bose has powered more venues than all amnufacturers combined. The forty part motet is not a venue its a wierdo's "experiment". Note: I'im not trying to imply that the 901 is an "audiophile" speaker (whatever that may mean) it is truely a PA speaker that also happens to have pretty decent sound overall. I personally don't know of any audiophile speaker that can put out 120dB continous for hours on end either!!! Some people actually relish in its unbelivably dynamic sound capacity even though sonically (frequency reproduction) its at best so so. Never forget that 99.9 % of music is between 60 and 15K HZ ergo possesing transducers that extend below that point simply serve to shake the walls and higher to split china! Remember the silent ring tone is 17KHZ? I and essentially anyone past their 20s cannot hear it, thus a flat response over that level is a technical achievement and thats it. Also don't forget they are cheap! A pair costs less than one XT4 (one of the cheaper BW's) and that includes the equalizer! The same can be said of Clipschorns the frequency response is pathetic and the distortion is staggering however there are sound "Connoisseurs" that would not trade their 30 year old ones connected to that 1 watt tube amp for Snails connected to 4 omega Classes!

Back to the original question, YES the 901 will love your Rotel and make them sing! The more power, the better!

Comment

• DL86
                            • Sep 2005

I thought JBL was bigger than Bose.

Comment

• qm456
                              • Dec 2006

I have worked an the hotel bussines for about 27 years and the speakers of choice are LV,EV and MACIKES never BOSE

Comment

• gd
                                • Jan 2003

Good tries! However bose has powered more venues than all amnufacturers combined. The forty part motet is not a venue its a wierdo's "experiment". Note: I'im not trying to imply that the 901 is an "audiophile" speaker (whatever that may mean) it is truely a PA speaker that also happens to have pretty decent sound overall. I personally don't know of any audiophile speaker that can put out 120dB continous for hours on end either!!! Some people actually relish in its unbelivably dynamic sound capacity even though sonically (frequency reproduction) its at best so so. Never forget that 99.9 % of music is between 60 and 15K HZ ergo possesing transducers that extend below that point simply serve to shake the walls and higher to split china! Remember the silent ring tone is 17KHZ? I and essentially anyone past their 20s cannot hear it, thus a flat response over that level is a technical achievement and thats it. Also don't forget they are cheap! A pair costs less than one XT4 (one of the cheaper BW's) and that includes the equalizer! The same can be said of Clipschorns the frequency response is pathetic and the distortion is staggering however there are sound "Connoisseurs" that would not trade their 30 year old ones connected to that 1 watt tube amp for Snails connected to 4 omega Classes!
                                Well, at least you spelled "Connoisseurs" correctly...
                                greg (gd to you)
                                Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• qm456
                                  • Dec 2006

Misspelled Words Are Not Dosnt Change The Fact That You Are Wrong Professor

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2003

Guys...

Play nice or we will have to lock the thread....

Let's stay on topic...

And my 2 cents - absolutely the Rotel RB-1092 will easily drive the Bose 901... They just love power...

Geoff

Comment

• btf1980
                                      • Aug 2007

However bose has powered more venues than all amnufacturers combined.
                                      Where are you getting your information from?
                                      A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2002

When one moderator posts a reply to take the 901 conversation elsewhere, I would expect people to respect that.

When two moderators post a reply to take it elsewhere, everyone should definitely respect that.

Geoff might be sleeping all ready and I won't have internet today so this thread is now locked. I would normally move the off topic replies to a new thread , but since some have proven they can't discuss it civilly all replies will stay locked here.

We have PM's if you would like to continue the discussion in its current form.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"