X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pacoinmass
    • Apr 2007

RSX-1056 not detecting dolby signals correctly

I recently noticed that my receiver does not detect dolby signal from the satellite correctly (for both OTA and DirecTV signals). For stations broadcasting in Dolby Pro Logic, I use the Dolby Pro Logic II Cinema mode, which should activate the center channel as well as the surrounds. The problem is that the center is inactive until I manually switch surround modes (to Pro Logic II Music for example) and then back to Cinema. In addition, the center channel doesn't work at all on Pro Logic II Music...for any input....cd or satellite. I have checked the setup menu..can't find anything wrong with the settings.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? It seems as if the signal processor has gone bad. Luckily it's still under warranty...will bring it back to the dealer but I'm curious if anyone else had a similar issue with the rsx-1056.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

What version of software are you running? (Hold down mute for about 5 seconds). There were a couple of versions that muted the center channel abnormally.

Also, are you talking about stations that are broadcasting Dolby Digital? Nothing is broadcast in Pro-Logic. Several shows are encoded with Pro-Logic but are still broadcast in stereo.

Since you are not getting Dolby Digital out of the receiver, you need to go through the sat menu and enable the Dolby Digital output. This won't fix your original problem, but you will get better sound.

For PLII-M mode, by default very little sound comes out of the center channel. You can change this by going into the input setup menu, setting the sound mode to PL-II and then going down to OPTIONS. Set the mode to MUSIC and then you can turn the rears on (Panarama=On), setup the front to rear mix (depth =/-), and increase or decrease the center mix (Width +/-).

Kevin D.

Comment

• pacoinmass
      • Apr 2007

Kevin D,

Thanks for the quick reply. My version is 1.2.4 050906.

On the other issue, I have not stated my problem clearly...let me try again.

My sat receiver has always been set to transmit Dolby Digital out to the Rotel through the optical digital connection...I don't use the RCA connection.

In addition, Dolby Digital 5.1 shows work okay....center comes in fine automatically.

The problem are the shows encoded in Pro Logic (thx for correcting my technical terms). They used to come in so that the vocals/main sound came from the center with the L/R fronts and L/R backs carrying the surrounds.

Now, for these shows at random times, the vocals/main sound comes from the L/R fronts (with the L/R rears providing surround mix). When that happens, I manually switch to 2 channel or PLII-M mode and then switch back to PLII-C mode. When I do that, the center comes in and the L/R fronts and backs carry the surround mix.

As for the PLII-M, thanks for reminding me of the settings...I used to get the center channel but the setting was changed back to 7 on the center mix..not sure how...I don't recall touching it since I set up the receiver a couple of years ago. Oh well...I've now set it to 4 to get a good mix of L/C/R.

I've rechecked the settings to see if something else could be causing the receiver not to automatically turn on the center channel in PLII-C mode but can't find anything. Am I missing something or could there be a problem with the processor?

Thanks for your help...if it's a setting, it will save me having to disconnect my system and live without music for a couple of weeks while the rotel is in the shop!

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Hmm.. 1.2.1 had this issues with low center channel output. So just to clarify, when the center goes away you still have all of the sound information, just that center information is mixed into the L/R?

If you didn't change the center width setting, there's a chance something got messed up in the eeprom. Perhaps taking the PLII-M settings and wrongly applying it to the PLII-C mode.. Before sending it in, I would write down all your settings and do a factory reset on it (under OTHER settings I believe).

Kevin D.

Comment

• pacoinmass
          • Apr 2007

Kevin,

Yes...the center used to go away but I still had the sorround info and the center appeared to be mixed into the L/R.

However, after changing the PLII-M setting to 4, the behavior with Pro Logic encoded shows has changed...I now am getting the center but still getting the center mixed into the front L/R...just like the newly set PLII-M.

So what I think is happening is what you've suggested...it's taking the PLII-M settings and incorrectly applying it to the PLII-C mode. When it does this and I press PLII-C, nothing changes. It only picks up the correct settings for PLII-C when I press PLII-M and then press PLII-C. (I have the default mode setting as PLII-C for the satellite input..video 1.)

I will try what you suggested tomorrow morning and see what happens. If I have to bring it in, I would like to do so tomorrow since I will not be home for a week (cuts down the time I will be without music!).

Again, thanks for your help and quick replies. I'll post back tomorrow morning after doing the reset you've suggested.

Comment

• rick c
            • Aug 2004

I have a similar problem.In Broadcast via sat that are in dolby dig. no problem.When like comercials and some programs it would come in prologicII which is indicated on the 1056 display but the sound is real low or muffled.Everytime it did this i would have to push the PLII button on the remote to get the sound to come in properly.But this repeats itself.I did call rotel and they THINK firmware would take care of it.I'm in the process to changing to a different reciever now so i dont think i'll bother.But it is annoying as !@#$.

Comment

• shadow 8
              • Aug 2004

Well, my 1056 gets DD just fine but my center is about 7 or 8 db lower than my R-L speakers. Always assumed this was just a difference in efficiency between the speakers but now I wonder.

Comment

• pacoinmass
                • Apr 2007

I reset the receiver to factory defaults per Kevin's suggestion...still the same behavior when listening to Pro Logic encoded shows...receiver display says it's in PLII-C mode but it's not...it's in PLII-M. Pressing PLII-M changes the receiver display to PLII-M with no change in speaker output...pressing PLII-C puts the receiver into the actual PLII-C mode...the center channel has the vocals/main sound with the L/R fronts receiving the surround information. Looks like I'll be heading to the shop later today.

Rick, the same problem occurs when during commercials that are in PLII even if the show is broacast in DD.

Comment

• rick c
                  • Aug 2004

well supposedly the firmware upgrade acoording to rotel should do the trick.It seems there is always something with rotel,as good as they sound its too bad.

Comment

• pacoinmass
                    • Apr 2007

We'll see. I dropped off the receiver today. Coincidentally they gave me a 1056 as a loaner. Set it up...seems to work like it's supposed to when watching Pro Logic encoded shows/commercials...and like mine did up until a few weeks ago. Whatever it is, I hope they can fix mine. I'm just glad that I have the loaner so I don't have to go without music for the next 4 weeks!

Once I get it back, I'll post the results. Thanks Kevin for the help.

Comment

• rick c
                      • Aug 2004

Let us know what they do when they fix it.

Comment

• pacoinmass
                        • Apr 2007

Well I got the receiver back today...still under warranty thankfully. Rotel said it was corrupted software. Not sure how that happens but not surprised given the electronics and software that are packed into today's components.

Rotel updated the receiver...appears to be working as intended...switches to DPL-C automatically now. I hope the firmware update solves the problem. The firmware version is now 1.2.8.070726. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
                        Last edited by pacoinmass; 13 April 2008, 20:37 Sunday. Reason: reference to "DPL-M" should have been "DPL-C"

Comment

• Huey
                          • Apr 2008

Mine is doing the same thing, but only with certain stations with DirecTV. I figured it was the way they were encoding, probably using DD 2.0. I guess I'll have to talk to my dealer. I'm using 1.2.4 like the op.
                          Rob

Comment

• rick c
                            • Aug 2004

I just recently replaced my rsx1056.I was having the same issues you guys have or had now with firmware fix.(this was actually my second rsx1056)The issue had popped out of no where and yet there is a firmware fix.Personally i got tired of the minor issues that always seemed to require a firmware fix. Happy you were able to resolve your issues.

Comment

• Mig17
                              • Jan 2008

Cirrus logic were causing a lot of issues

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"