X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • csorin
    • Oct 2007

Amplifier section of RSX-972 distorting badly

Pertaining to the following fairly old thread, I am now posting my response in this Rotel Forum:

weird piano sound

Originally posted by csorin
    I am experiencing this same problem with my (new to me) RSX-972. I believe this is pretty much the same receiver as the 1055. High, constant tone frequencies become distorted. Piano is pretty unbearable.

I tried plugging in the Rotel to a seperate wall outlet to no avail.

As a test, I hooked up my old NAD integrated via the pre-outs on the Rotel to my main L and R speakers. The Rotel was acting as the pre-amp, and the NAD as the main's amplifier. The distortion was not present.

This test shows that the amplifier of the Rotel is distorting like crazy. It's pre-amp section (DATS included) is just fine. What could cause an amplifier section to go bad? I've pretty much accepted that I need to buy an external amp, but if there is something I can check internally, then I'll go that route.
    Has anyone experienced this with either a 972, a 1055, or any other receiver for that matter? Thanks.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Well you've pretty much verified it's the amplifiers. Might be a bias adjustment out of whack, but I'm not technical enough to begin to tell you where to look.

Kevin D.

Comment

• csorin
      • Oct 2007

Has anyone gotten their receivers worked on out of warranty? Wondering how much it might cost. Anyone else with an idea of what's going on?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Rotel is usually actual parts cost plus labor & shipping. They do board level repair rather then diagnose and replace boards. Might be a $5 capacitor and a few adjustments. I'm pretty sure they have a reasonable bench fee to see what it would cost.

Kevin D.

Comment

• kb10000
          • Nov 2007

Csorin, how did you go with this? I'd bought my 972 second hand a few months back and now experiencing the same issue.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"