X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vifferboy
    • Mar 2007

Would a sub be a good idea ?

Hello

I have the following RCD1072, RC1070, RB1080 with a pair of Dynaudio Focus 110s and I was wondering if there would be any benefit in adding a subwoofer to the mix? I was thinking of the Dynaudio Sub 250.

The set up is used for mostly music with some movies ( but I'm no HT buff)...

Any comments, thoughts much appreciated

Thanks

Steve
  • vifferboy
    • Mar 2007

Oh dear, 44 veiws and no replies maybe I asked a stupid question

Comment

• artv4
      • Jun 2007

what type of music do do you listen too?
      GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• lvhung
        • Jun 2005

That is not a good idea of adding a sub
        I think the 1080 and 110 focus will give you a lot of bass
        I think You should try other somes cables for more bass

Comment

• calmac
          • May 2005

Traditionally sub woofers were not thought acceptable in quality orientated 2chn systems but these days I don't believe that this is necessarily the case.
          With advancement in drive unit technology and amps some subwoofers can add an extra dimensions to the sound of small speakers beyond just adding more depth and power to the bass.
          The trick is to get a sub that was designed with 2ch music replay in mind and integrate the sub properly.
          Have a look at the British made REL subs and the Velodyne DD series.
          Gordon

Comment

• skuzzyb
            • Mar 2006

First you should ask yourself why do think you need a sub. Most of the time in a two channel set up by adding a sub the music becomes bloated, over-bassed and out of balance. I am not a fan of subs in a two channel configuration but to each is own. I do admit that there are good subs out there that would balance it nicely but nine times out of ten you would not need it anyway. If you insist on getting a sub, I would concur with Gordon that REL and Velodyne make some good musical subs, take a look at the JL Audio fathom subs as they are incredible to listen and a very fast, articulate and involving sound. One more option is the Wilson Benesch Torus sub, which in my opinion has no equal when it comes to deep, clean, fast bass. Good luck with your journey.

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

I would reccomend you look at upgrading the preamp and speakers before adding a sub. The RC-1070 is a good preamp, but the RC-1082 is much better. It will give you more dynamics and impact in the deep bass. You should try to listen to one in your system and see what you think.

Eric

Comment

• vifferboy
                • Mar 2007

Thanks for the replies much appriciated, I shall give the matter some thought.

Comment

• miner
                  • Mar 2005

I had a RC-1070/RB-1070 combo driving a pair of B&W N804. I added a B&W ASW800 sub. Matched well. I replaced my pre/amp with a RC-1090 pre and RB-1092 amp. If I would have done this first I would not have added the sub. A $1400 lesson learned.

Comment

• calmac
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by skuzzyb
                    First you should ask yourself why do think you need a sub. Most of the time in a two channel set up by adding a sub the music becomes bloated, over-bassed and out of balance. I am not a fan of subs in a two channel configuration but to each is own. I do admit that there are good subs out there that would balance it nicely but nine times out of ten you would not need it anyway. If you insist on getting a sub, I would concur with Gordon that REL and Velodyne make some good musical subs, take a look at the JL Audio fathom subs as they are incredible to listen and a very fast, articulate and involving sound. One more option is the Wilson Benesch Torus sub, which in my opinion has no equal when it comes to deep, clean, fast bass. Good luck with your journey.
                    I had very much the same opinion as you S with regard to subs in 2 chn systems but quite a few of the guys on various forums down here in Australia have done a lot of work on proper integration of subs with the result that when set up properly the pluses far out way the minusses.In fact when properly integrated there should be no downside at all.
                    The only caveat is that it takes a fair bit of experimentation to get right in individual circumstances.
                    Gordon

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"