X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

anyone gone from SS to Dig. amp?

Was wondering if anyone has gone from a rotel ss amp like the rb1070 to the dig amp rb1072 or the like.What were your impressions if any.
  • dmcgowan
    • Sep 2003

Rick,

FWIW we went from RSX-1055 and RB-1050 (I think) to the RMB-1077 (RSP-1098). Absolutely no regrets...

Our house has two pre-schoolers so time to sit down and critically analyse the sound quality is non-existent. Hard to also differentiate what is 1098 and what is 1077 but it is not a decision we regret at all.

Trust your ears...

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

digi.

Hi rick c,

Personaly I like much the sound from digital amp.

I have 2xRb1092 and a Rb1091 for the center. (all with B&W speakers).
      Great.

Omar

Comment

• miner
        • Mar 2005

From RB-1070 to RB-1092. I am in nirvana. The soundstage increased along with the bass. If I had the Rb-1092 prior to purchasing my B&W ASW800 sub I would have not went the sub route.

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

OK,
          Rb1072 and Rb1092 is not the same ..... but RB1070 and RB1072 I think the 1072 will be better BUT I don't have the 1072 never listened ...

I drive the 803S with one RB1092, Htm3s with RB1091 and rear 805S with another RB1092. sub 750.

Pre Rsp 1068 but I want chage it with a Classè SSP600, Meridian or a complet (hdmi, scaler, suond decoding,...) Anthem D2.

Opinion?
          Omar

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Hi,

I upgraded from the RB-1080 and RMB-1075 to the RMB-1077 and loved it... For my needs the extra midrange clarity and bass tighntess of the 1077 made it all so worthwhile...

I have also done a comparison of the RB-1090 and RB-1092 and that was harder... Both very very good but different... The RB-1090 is a very sweet amp... But my (perhaps now digitally biased) ears favour the RB-1092's limitless power and control...

Geoff

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

Hi,

I'm too pro Rmb1077 in place from Rmb1075 and 1080 another "simphony"....
              I have too changed may Rmb1075 with the RB1092 new ampli.

The only contra from the new digital ampli from Rotel is only not XLR ....
              (1090 -> 1092,...)

In a Germany book a test with Rb1090 and a Rb1092 speek from a total
              resultat max. 100piont = RB1090 at 95 point and RB1092 100point !!
              Omar

Comment

• Regnad
                • Jul 2004

Digital amps are solid state... :P

Comment

• Nuthed
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Regnad
                  Digital amps are solid state... :P
                  And yet we all knew he meant class AB to class D. :roll:
                  Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
                  RB980-BX driving mains
                  Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                  Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
                  Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
                  SVS PB-12

Comment

• Regnad
                    • Jul 2004

Geez, it was a joke! Did I choose the wrong Smiley?

Anyway, to the OP, I am thoroughly enjoying a Rotel RSP1068 and Hypex UCD "digital" amps. Smaller, cooler and more efficient than the Odysseys that I had before. It's hard to see how those little modules can produce so much power and sound so good!

The Rotel amp uses ICE, doesn't it? I'm not sure but, if so, it should sound great.

Comment

• Nuthed
                      • Jan 2007

Geez, it was a joke! Did I choose the wrong Smiley?

Anyway, to the OP, I am thoroughly enjoying a Rotel RSP1068 and Hypex UCD "digital" amps. Smaller, cooler and more efficient than the Odysseys that I had before. It's hard to see how those little modules can produce so much power and sound so good!

The Rotel amp uses ICE, doesn't it? I'm not sure but, if so, it should sound great.
                      Sorry. I was joking, I guess I chose the wrong smiley. :T
                      Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
                      RB980-BX driving mains
                      Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                      Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
                      Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
                      SVS PB-12

Comment

• Bostonears
                        • Mar 2004

Did you buy the Hypex amps as boards and build your own enclosure, or did you buy them as finished product?

Comment

• Regnad
                          • Jul 2004

I purchased the modules and linear power supply parts to make a 400 watt 3-channel amp for the front speakers.

The enclosure is the hardest part to get and I was lucky to find a good pre-drilled one that is, unfortunately, no longer available. Slim, basic black with a single power LED. No heatsinking is required besides the chassis mounting and the only soldering was to the input jacks!

Nice simple great-sounding amp.

Comment

• TonioRoffo
                            • Aug 2010

I agree - Although the Hypex is a switching class-D amp, it's not a digital amp by any means. Have hypex power for 5 years now, into B&W N804's and now in 804S, couldn't be more pleased. I'm too shy to take my shabby build (I got it housed in an old 80's AKAI AM55 enclosure outside the house, but one day I'll rebuild it decently and then go listen to the higher B&W's with it, and in the same time compare the amp to the best stuff out there.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"