Which side of the fence does Rotel sit on?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unclemick
    • May 2007

Which side of the fence does Rotel sit on?

Hi, I'm a new potential rotel customer...currently eyeballing the upcoming rsx-1058. Was wondering... with regard to the DVD format war, which side of the fence does Rotel sit on? Blu-ray? HD-DVD? Uncommitted? I realize that I'll probably have to wait light years for a Rotel Blu-ray, but would love to know if they've committed in any way to a format.

Great forum, I'm learning a lot about Rotel

M.
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

They haven't committed to either one. Smaller companies like Rotel will probably sit on the sidelines for a little while. The last thing someone like Rotel wants to do is make a product that no one would want to purchase in six months because it's too expensive or the wrong format. You'll have to live with a non Rotel player for a while if you want an HD disc player.

Eric

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

If it were as easy as making it, they would have a combo player in 6 months. It's the big fat check they have to send to HD-DVD or Blu-ray that's preventing it.

You either have to be a large company and sell millions or a small company that's expected to have really expensive products. I'm sure a $2000 Blu-ray player from Rotel would not be a hit.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
        • May 2004

I'd pay 1999.00 :lol:

Comment

• Nolan B
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Woo Wooooo
          I'd pay 1999.00 :lol:
          me too!

Comment

• mattburk
            • Feb 2003

they will probably do hd or blue ray around the same time they do sacd
            www.mycstone.com
            www.coverednow.com
            www.biarenton.com

Comment

• unclemick
              • May 2007

Okay....i'm official...

I said I was a potential Rotel customer...I'm now an official Rotel owner. I bought my RSX 1057 this weekend. Now the dilemma, should I get a less expensive Rotel DVD or a Blu-ray?.. Still thinking it through... any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by unclemick
                I said I was a potential Rotel customer...I'm now an official Rotel owner. I bought my RSX 1057 this weekend. Now the dilemma, should I get a less expensive Rotel DVD or a Blu-ray?.. Still thinking it through... any thoughts would be appreciated.
                Here is my opinion. If you can afford it support both formats. Get a PS3 for Blue Ray and a XA2 for HD DVD and DVD playback. If you can only support 1 format I would choose the one which has the best movies available and has players which do the best job playing regular DVDs. In my opinion that would be HD DVD.

Comment

• nash
                  • Mar 2004

Either the Samsung BD-P1200 or Toshiba HD-XA2 produce great pictures on standard DVD since they both use the same chipset for upconverting. You can't go wrong with either one - I own both and love being format neutral

I personally do not recommend to anyone to buy any "regular" DVD player over $200. For about $500 you can get the best upconverting players in the form of the high definition players above, even if you never put a BD or HD DVD disc in the player.

Comment

• gianni
                    • Nov 2002

Originally posted by unclemick
                    Forget today's HD players, they still need lot's of improvement before I bite, not to mention the format war still is unpredictable as to a winner.

Get yourself a real DVD player like a Denon 1930 or 2930. This will be useful for years to come, makes a better audio player and is much more user friendly.

Comment

• unclemick
                      • May 2007

Well, my dvd collection is only about 30 movies... and I'm getting the feeling that buying an expensive (1k+) non-HD DVD player may be wasteful. I've been eyeing some good deals on the 1st gen sony blu-rays or even a ps3. The 2nd gen sony blu-ray look compelling and would also scale my SD DVDs. The pricepoint looks great too. A PS3 is probably not the best solution, but pretty versatile as a media device in the interim... Since I really don't want to spend more than 1k on the device, I think that'll be the way I go. Even if Rotel had a blu-ray or hd-dvd player... it'd probably be too expensive for me for a few years.

Comment

• Alaric
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

I have to wonder-is the equipment of the average consumer going to be a deal-breaker in the format war? My RPTV handles 1080i quite well , and given the price leap , I'm not likely to even care what happens between HDDVD and BluRay. By the time I can afford (if ever) the "hi-res" option , my Sony upconverting DVD player will still give my 45 year old eyes a satisfying picture.
                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                        Schiit Modi 3
                        Marantz CD5005
                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• unclemick
                          • May 2007

Ok, got a great deal on a ps3 this weekend, used for $325. Should tie me over for a bit!

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"