X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michaeld53
    • Apr 2008

Integrated amplifier choice for 683?

Just picked up a pair of 683's. Love them and my new Cambridge 740c upsampling CD player. Now am interested in a new (or used) integrated amp.

New to this level of audio, so I look forward to lots of advice.

Can spend up to 1500$, though don't feel compelled to

I have investigated Cambridge 840A V2, Jolida hybrid and McIntosh 6500 (used, of course)

Listen to jazz - Coltrane, Miles, Pat Methany; Classic & alt rock; folk, and classical.

Like a warm, non-harsh sound.

Thanks for your input,

Michael
  • gc8ej25
    • Nov 2007

You could get a used Musical Fidelity A5 integrated.

Comment

• cug
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by gc8ej25
      You could get a used Musical Fidelity A5 integrated.
      Yeah, the A5 is a great choice. Very good amplifier and easily comparable to much more expensive ones.

Comment

• Tommy
        • Dec 2006

Or a McIntosh MA6300 used. McIntosh synergizes very well with B&W speakers.

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by michaeld53
          Listen to jazz - Coltrane, Miles, Pat Methany; Classic & alt rock; folk, and classical.

Like a warm, non-harsh sound.
          For your needs with the B&W's I would ordinarily recommend the Classe' CAP-2100. It can be had for ~$3K second hand but it may be a stretch for your budget. It's worth it if you can manage it and it will grow with you should your speaker needs change.
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

This might be a stretch but how about a Naim Nait5i. May or may not be enough grunt for the 683 although Naim amps have excellent power supplies and current available. It is a significantly different sound to the others suggested here. It may just be what the doctor ordered.

Note - the latest Nait has the i in italics, the old one was in normal font - Naim are funny like that.
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Jmac
              • Feb 2005

Of the amps you list, the Cambridge 840A V2 gets stunning reviews and is regarded as being a real giant killer.

Naim is a love or hate affair, as it's sound presentation can be somewhat idiosyncratic. (I speak from personal experience) It majors in a fast upbeat presentation, whilst sacrificing other qualities such as sound-staging, imaging and tonal timbre when compared to other competing kit. Some swear by it, others hate it; either way it's good kit, but a listen is mandatory.

Hope this helps

John...

Comment

• Briz vegas
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Yes, giving Naim gear a listen before buying is essential. They have moved more towards a mainstream sound in recent years but it is still different enough. I only use a Naim source myself. I do wonder if anyone else on the planet has paired a naim CD player with Conrad Johnson amplification (real quality sound with sufficient grunt for the 804s) and B&W. Thats partly what I like about hifi - the ability to tailor the system to your liking (although brand availability/support comes into the equation in Australia)
                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Captain Reg
                  • Mar 2008

I have a NAD M3 paired with my 683's and it is absolutely sublime.

Comment

• michaeld53
                    • Apr 2008

Well, my used McIntosh MA 6500 arrived today. I have hooked it up to the 683's. It really drives them well. I'm on a bit of a Mandolin kick, so I listened to a lot of David Grisman this afternoon. Plan on some Pat Methany and Joe Pass tomorrow. What a treat. Thanks for the input.

Michael

Comment

• htsteve
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Well, my used McIntosh MA 6500 arrived today. I have hooked it up to the 683's. It really drives them well. I'm on a bit of a Mandolin kick, so I listened to a lot of David Grisman this afternoon. Plan on some Pat Methany and Joe Pass tomorrow. What a treat. Thanks for the input.

Michael

Michael,

Congratulations. I have Mac's on my B&W Diamonds and I am very pleased with them. I hope this works quite well for you. Let's us know your impressions once you've listened to this combo for a little bit longer.

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Plan on some Pat Methany and Joe Pass tomorrow.
                        Joe Pass. That's brought back some memories Michael! I saw Joe Pass at the Nice Jazz Festival in 1977.

For those of you who didn't do geography at school, Nice is on the south coast of France. A lot of weathy / beautiful people holiday there. The festival was held in the Roman ruins above the town. I was 23 at the time and completely blown away by the beauty of the place and the incredible music. The highlight was seeing Count Basie who was a big hero during my jazz phase.

I haven't listened to any of Joe's music or even thought about him for many years but reading your post has inspired me to put that right.

Nigel.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"