X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingo102
    • Nov 2004

Speaker suggestions for an aussie

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at getting some new speakers for my system (basically entirely for music, which as a 25 y/o is mostly rock, rap and jazz). System will be:

Source: Benchmark DAC1 (fed from optical on juli@ pc card)
    Amplifier: RB-1080

I also have a custom 350W 12" sub in the system. (I'm definitely a 2.1 bloke!)

In aus it's very hard to find particular speakers to audition, and even then finding two in the same place to compare with my setup would be close to impossible. So really have been doing a lot of research to narrow my search.

So far I've found some very favourable comments on both B&W's DM 603 and Paradigm's Studio 60's. Was wondering from people's own experiences which would be a better match for my music tastes/comparative strengths and weaknesses? Is it worth considering the studio 100s, or indeed anything else?

Really appreciate your help,
    Dave
  • McLoki
    • Feb 2007

Not sure about rap, but for Jazz and Rock - Polk Audio LSi-15's should be on your short list.

Michael

Edit - If you prefer bookshelves, the 9's are nice too, but I think the 15's would be a better rock speaker.
    Mains............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center...........Polk LSiC
    Surrounds......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - Wood sides removed)
    Subwoofer.....SVS 25-31 CS+ (20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro..........NAD T163
    Amplifier........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

Comment

• Ted
      • May 2006

I'm a big fan of the B & W sound. I have some (with a RB-1080 too) and enjoy a wide range of music ;b> and have been happy with them regardless of what type of music I am listening to. Plus, since you are using a sub, then anything in the bass regions of rap should still be covered by the sub.
      Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• dmcgowan
        • Sep 2003

Dave,

Coming from a different angle, but this might be useful:

I contacted Gary (I think) at Osborn who was VERY confident about his speaker's and their quality. Not in an arrogant way, just confident for the $$'s his stuff was hard to beat...

Based on some recent shopping expeditions, I could recommend talking to either the guys at Klapp in Windsor or Carlton AV in Lygon Street for ideas too.

Comment

• Alex999
          • Jun 2006

B&W CM1s + sub. They are amazing. Give them a try.

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

Look at the CM7 as well. They are in the same price range as the Studio60's and are great speakers. They have an FST midrange and a tweeter very similar the the 805S. They are also great looking!!

Eric

Comment

• kingo102
              • Nov 2004

excellent! thanks for all this advice guys. Will continue on my hunt and keep you posted on the progress.

cheers!

Comment

• Ferres
                • Jan 2007

Check out some Aurum Cantus models.

Leisure and melody lines.

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

I can't help with comparisons between the B&Ws and Paradigms , but I own Studio 60s and can tell you what my experience is. With a modest amp (Marantz PM7200) and my speakers biwired I get what I consider to be great sound. The bass could go a little lower , but it's "punchy" and not lacking that abdominal 'hit' at raised db levels. The mids and highs are very clear and precise , without harshness . Great soundstage , but the 'sweet spot' may be a bit narrow. With my amp in Class A mode (25 wpc) the Studio 60s can achieve impressive volume levels without any (to me) audible distortion. I love them . They are great with female vocals , horns , Ozzy Osbourne (?) , Sheryl Crow , etc... I've heard the Studio 100s are pretty power hungry , and my local audio store drives them with a RB1080 , if you're leaning that way.
                  The Paradigms seem to be pretty "forward" (not bright or harsh) , so I would try to pair them with an amp that will compliment rather than fight them. If you already have the amp , the best thing you can do is haul it around to as many demos as possible and hear the speakers with your amp. I'm pleased beyond all reason with mine . I don't listen to rap (does Kid Rock count?) but I do a lot of Black Sabbath , Led Zep , Heart , etc..... Also a huge fan of Sheryl Crow , Miles Davis , Natalie Merchant and Arthur Fiedler & the Boston Pops. No complaints so far ! (Except from the neighbors)
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• likwidsh0k
                    • Apr 2007

VAF and Sonique

Hey,

I live in Australia too and have found it very difficult to compare gear.

I was also interested in the B&Ws but when I get the funds will be getting VAF DC-7s. Unfortunately they cannot be auditioned anywhere because they are direct from the Australian manufacturer only. But if you live in Adelaide you can check them out at the factory showroom, and if you post at the aus.hi-fi newsgroup you might be able to find someone who will let you have a listen to them near where you live?

They DC-Xs have received alot of great reviews but the DC-7s have been described to have better musical performance which is what I am after too, and with good amplification they really sing, which is why I got Rotel separates inlcuding a RB-980BX 2nd hand

I have a review from Australian Hi-Fi which raves about them and here is the finishing quote..

"the sounds of the VAF's DC-7 Gen4s will astound you with its ultra-smooth midrange, purity of sound and accurate bass...there aren't any speakers in this price bracket that can match the performance of the VAF's DC-7 Gen4s. On my reckoning, you'd have to spend at least a third more (an extra $500 bucks) - and choose carefully! - even to get close."

You could also check out Sonique speakers, another Aussie made speaker that has received alot of great reviews.

Cheers

Comment

• kingo102
                      • Nov 2004

Support the Australian made! Wouldn't mind popping down to Adelaide, as being a Brisbane boy haven't ventured that far yet. Have heard there are some great wineries down there so would be very appealing.

Thanks for all the comments, makes the decision making a hell of a lot easier.

Comment

• DL86
                        • Sep 2005

I have the studio 100's and compared them against the studio 60's and b&w 603s3 in the shop. The studio 100's was an easy decision for me. It has truly deep bass that will really give that deep bass sound when paired with a RB-1090 which I am using to drive. I am not running a sub therefore i was after something with extended bass response and the 100's provided just that. Clarity is top notch throughout the entire frequency range. The paradigms did sound better to me over the b&w 600 series.

Comment

• likwidsh0k
                          • Apr 2007

Queensland Audio Club

Originally posted by kingo102
                          Support the Australian made! Wouldn't mind popping down to Adelaide, as being a Brisbane boy haven't ventured that far yet. Have heard there are some great wineries down there so would be very appealing.
                          I live in Brisbane too. VAF put out an invitation a while back for everybody in aus.hi-fi to come down for a special weekend to check out their speaker design and new technologies, and the local wineries If I had the Vafs you could have a listen.

Check out the Queensland Audio Club, there are meetings at members houses the last weekend of each month. Write David Aiken to get put on the mailing list daiken@iprimus.com.au

Someone there has the Vafs but I cannot remember who (I think it might even be David), he was going to let me have a listen and told me about the club. I haven't been yet, I am still trying to get the speaker funds.

Cheers

Comment

• kingo102
                            • Nov 2004

Thanks for the comments guys it is extremely helpful to hear of your experiences with this gear. But the plot thickens....

I've been offered a used pair of B&W CDM7NTs for the same price that I can pick up some paradigm studio 60v3s for. (~2k)

I haven't been able to listen to the VAF range, although I have heard some reviews that they can be harsh in the upper range, which I really dislike in a speaker.

I did get to go and listen to a pair of studio 60s and was quite impressed, then again this was not with my rb1080 and given the CDM 7NTs are now superceded it would be very hard to listen to these.

My preferences in speakers are that they be dynamic, "live" (as in give a realistic sense of immersion), have nice punchy bass (not necessarily really low down as I'll most likely be looking to upgrade my sub soon), and it must be able to handle music well at high volumes. I know, this is a tall order!

I did like the 60s, but would I be better off with the CDM7NTs given I'm getting a good price on them?? Or in fact stretch for the 100s??

Damn I never thought it would be this hard!

I'm sorry for asking so many questions which almost seem repetetive, but this is my first speaker purchase and I really want to get it right!

Comment

• hifiguymi
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2007

What version Studio 60 did you listen to? The current ones are v4's and those are quite good. As much as I love B&W (that is what I currently own) I think the new Studio 60's are better than the CDM7NT's. I like the 704 and the CM7 equally well as the Studio 60v4 but for different reasons. It all comes down to what you like.

Eric

Comment

• likwidsh0k
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by kingo102
                                I haven't been able to listen to the VAF range, although I have heard some reviews that they can be harsh in the upper range, which I really dislike in a speaker.
                                I hope this was probably the gen3s, the new gen4 have all new speaker and tweeter designs and have been compared as sounding alot better.

They are some very nice speakers and I cant hep with comparisons but if you are considering the Paradigm 100s could maybe check out the Vaf Signature I-66s? This has got me interested again and checked for myself and Vaf offer a 30 day money back guarantee including return freight, if you want to give them a listen.

I am not a VAF stooge, I have just heard so many great things about them, and go Australian made

Cheers

Comment

• kingo102
                                  • Nov 2004

ok problem solvered! Picked up a pair of v3 studio 100s (floorstock) for 2700AUD! Reason being one of the speakers has a tiny nick out of the bottom... unbelievable. Have not had the chance to let these babies loose in my room yet but will get back to everyone here when I do. My room is a little on the smaller size for a speaker like the 100, but for a deal like that I'm not really worried.

Only quarm is they're not AU made.. should maybe look to the VAFs next time!

Many thanks to everyone who posted their opinions and suggestions here, was an extremely important decision for me to make with little info/listening to go on.

Cheers,
                                  Dave

Comment

• likwidsh0k
                                    • Apr 2007

Holy shit, what an awesome deal! Can you please tell us where you bought them and who you spoke to?

And bugger Australian made for that price

I found an email with a link to the Queensland Audio Club web site - http://www.qldaudioclub.org.au/

Stereo Supplies on the Gold Coast are members of the club which could be handy for rotel gear.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"