X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike c
    • Dec 2005

dedicated CD players

when playing red book CD's using analog outs:

would a dedicated Rotel CD player (with 96/24bit) really sound better than say a Pioneer 696 DVD player that says it has a 192/24 bit DAC?

also, for those familiar with the Rotel RCD's ... I'm looking at the RCD06

how fast is the start up time of the player? (from the time you turn it on to the time you can hit play and hear the music playing?)

I need a player with fast ON, fast PLAY, fast EJECT and a one click repeat all songs button.
  • mike c
    • Dec 2005

also, will the RCD have any problems playing the latest CDR's?

are there other DVD players/CD players that have the one click repeat button? (that are cheaper than the RCD?)

Comment

• gianni
      • Nov 2002

Have not listened to the RCD-06 so I can't comment on sound quality. In most cases, CD players are much faster than DVD players in areas you mentioned. I have a Rotel RCD-1072 and it is fast in in areas you are wondering about - the RCD-06 should be similar.

Comment

• calmac
        • May 2005

Originally posted by mike c
        when playing red book CD's using analog outs:

would a dedicated Rotel CD player (with 96/24bit) really sound better than say a Pioneer 696 DVD player that says it has a 192/24 bit DAC?

also, for those familiar with the Rotel RCD's ... I'm looking at the RCD06

how fast is the start up time of the player? (from the time you turn it on to the time you can hit play and hear the music playing?)

I need a player with fast ON, fast PLAY, fast EJECT and a one click repeat all songs button.
        I can comment on the sound quality of both the 06 and 1072 compared to the 696 playing cd.Both outperform the wee 696 based on thorough design of both the digital and analogue stages.It's both easy and understandable to look at spec sheets and as a lay person make judgments based on a few facts and figures however the implementation of various technologies plays an even more important role in the resultant sound than a few chips chosen because they provide for good advertising copy.
        The answer, as always, is to go and have a lengthy comparative listen for yourself
        Gordon

Comment

• BWzes03
          • Oct 2005

It doesn't even have to be a very lengthy listen...
          I have a highly modified (for audio performance) Pioneer DV747-A which is the higher-end predecessor of the DV-696A.
          This modified player still does not hold a candle to my un-modified RCD-1072.

Though I have read that the RCD-06 is a slightly lesser player than the RCD-1072, I would expect its performance to fully outperform the 696 as a Redbook CD-player.

I would think that the performance using hybrid SA-CD's on both the RCD-06 and the DV-696 would yield slightly in the Pio's favour since the RCD-06 does not play the SA-CD layer. But otherwise, the Rotel player will be the better disc-spinner.

If you can find it at a good price, get the RCD-1072, but that is my personal view....

Comment

• petergaryr
            R.I.P.
            • Dec 2006

I would give another nod to the RCD 1072. For playing standard CDs it is a solid performer. My other player is the Pioneer DV45A which I use for SACD/DVD-A, which is quite capable as well. However, the fit and finish of the Rotel is heads about the Pioneer.

Comment

• mike c
              • Dec 2005

is the difference night and day?

I mean, I can barely tell the difference between for example the KEF Q1 and Monitor Audio RS1 in an A/B test at my home ...

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

I haven't listened to the DVD player you're asking about, but I have listened to the Pioneer Elite DV45A and the new DV46AV, and the Rotel is better. I would bet you would hear the difference pretty quickly. The Rotel has very good "pace". Most of the Pioneer DVD players sound like they don't keep up with the music. The RCD-1072 sounds like it staying on top of the music and it just flows out. I know it sounds abstract, but once you do the comparisons, you'll know what I'm talking about. The RCD-1072 also does HDCD which is nice to have. Let us know what you think if/when you do the comparison.

Eric

Comment

• Pez
                  • May 2004

Another nod to the 1072. I bought one after a friend of mine was looking for a cd player and compared a bunch, some costing a lot more than 1072. Even though I dont use it much the performance is so good I wanted to get the most out of my small cd collection.

Comment

• calmac
                    • May 2005

I mean, I can barely tell the difference between for example the KEF Q1 and Monitor Audio RS1 in an A/B test at my home ...
                    Difficult to quantify the differences Mike but the differences that do exist are of the nature that make for much more satisfying listening in long term use.Most dvd universals sound rather bland and uninvolving replaying cd , ok for background listening but not much chop in connecting you to the emotive power of the music.
                    Gordon

Comment

• petergaryr
                      R.I.P.
                      • Dec 2006

I think there is your answer. You say you can barely tell the difference, but you DO hear a difference.

I think that would be the same if you went with the 1072. There would be an audible difference, but whether or not that would qualify as a "night and day" difference would be up to your ears.

I will say this, however. In my opinion, the soundstage is wider and deeper and there is a greater sense of "air" around instruments and vocalists.

Comment

• mike c
                        • Dec 2005

I assume all of you use the analog outs right? ... and not the coaxial output.

Comment

• JDH
                          • Sep 2004

I've heard of some using the CD player as a dedicated transport using the Coax out into a dedicated DAC.

JDH.

Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• petergaryr
                            R.I.P.
                            • Dec 2006

In my case, yes.

Comment

• scanido
                              • Apr 2006

Does anyone know if the RCD-1072 can play MP3's?

You would think this info is readily available on their site but it is not.

Comment

• petergaryr
                                R.I.P.
                                • Dec 2006

I just loaded one in to test. That would be a no.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by scanido
                                  Does anyone know if the RCD-1072 can play MP3's?

You would think this info is readily available on their site but it is not.
                                  Just an FYI. When the updated changer (RCC-1055) ships this month that will play MP3's.

Eric

Comment

• BluChief
                                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                    Just an FYI. When the updated changer (RCC-1055) ships this month that will play MP3's.

Eric
                                    I certainly hope that this info is true on being ready to ship as my dealer is telling me different. They said the new unit is still being tested and the shipping date is unknown at this time but will be soooooooooooon. In the past month I have been through two B stock RCC1055 units that failed within 1 hour of play time. I am still trying to stay positive about Rotel

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BluChief
                                      I certainly hope that this info is true on being ready to ship as my dealer is telling me different. They said the new unit is still being tested and the shipping date is unknown at this time but will be soooooooooooon. In the past month I have been through two B stock RCC1055 units that failed within 1 hour of play time. I am still trying to stay positive about Rotel
                                      I haven't heard of a different ship date, but I'll try to confirm it anyway.

I've followed your plight and all I can say is UGH :x . I applaud Rotel for admitting there was a problem with the RCC-1055 and found a new supplier for the transport to correct it. Hang in there and you'll be rewarded with great sound IMO.

Eric

Comment

• scanido
                                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by petergaryr
                                        I just loaded one in to test. That would be a no.
                                        Bummer! Ok thanks.

Comment

• joetama
                                          • May 2006

Just something else to look at. When I was looking for a CD Player I looked into the Rotels but found the Arcam to be a lot more pleasing to my ears. You might give them a look!
                                          -Joe

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"