X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jnorth1178
    • Feb 2006

dO YOU OR DON'T YOU?

I know it has been asked before but I would like a more definitive answer. The question: Does it do harm to a system to leave it on all of the time? (except, of course, when you are away for long periods.) JNorth
  • cfrizz
    • Apr 2006

No! Is that definitive enough for you?
    Cathy
    ---------
    Sunfire TGP III, Sunfire Cinema Grande 405wpc 5 channel Amplifier, :B Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Sony PS-454 Turntable, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston 920 Center Channel, Boston PV600 Sub Woofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Comment

• Jnorth1178
      • Feb 2006

Cathy: Did I understand you to mean "No"? JNorth

Comment

• Pez
        • May 2004

To be honest I dont know if there is any hard evidence to support either. You will responses from both sides of the camp. So to answer that question go with cfrizz's response. In my system the only things on 24/7 is the amp and surge protector (rotel 1040). The pre/pro, cd player, dvd player, tuner are in "standby" mode so I guess they are never truly off.

Instead of looking at it as how it will effect the equipment maybe consider the added costs in electricity of leaving everything on. Seems minor but when this question comes up some responses deal with the wasted electricity of leaving things on.

Comment

• GregLett
          • May 2005

My amp stays on, I turn off the pre and cd player.
          Greg

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Jnorth1178
            I know it has been asked before but I would like a more definitive answer. The question: Does it do harm to a system to leave it on all of the time? (except, of course, when you are away for long periods.) JNorth
            I don't think it harms anything other than your electric bill (for power amps anyway). I've heard the argument that turning your gear on and off is bad because of the surge of power going thru the power supply when it's turned on. I think most gear now powers up in a sequence internally, so I don't think that is valid anymore. With preamps and disc players however they do take longer to get to operating temp so they might sound a little better if left on but I wouldn't worry about it. Just try it and see for yourself.

Eric

Comment

• cfrizz
              • Apr 2006

:B LOL! Yes, JNorth I mean no it won't hurt your equipment. My amp stays on 24/7 my other gear is in standby mode. I don't worry about the equipment or the electric bill. 8)

Originally posted by Jnorth1178
              Cathy: Did I understand you to mean "No"? JNorth
              Cathy
              ---------
              Sunfire TGP III, Sunfire Cinema Grande 405wpc 5 channel Amplifier, :B Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Sony PS-454 Turntable, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston 920 Center Channel, Boston PV600 Sub Woofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"