X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • karnaaj
    • Jan 2007

Can it be done?

Lets say you have a nice HT pre-pro hooked up to a good amp and the results are outstanding for HT but less than stellar for music. Is there a way to integrate a separate pre-amp AND amp into the system using the same speakers?
  • gd
    • Jan 2003

greg (gd to you)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

Bypass featured preamps will allow switching of different sources through a single amp and single set of speaks, but not multiple amps through a single set of speaks. My VTL has this, and the only issue is I would have to run ht through my tubed amp for movies, etc....and don't want to take away from their life expectancy given their replacement cost.
      I just built a switch box (got real tiresome having to switch speaker cables between amps) which is driven by the 12 vdc trigger on my Rotel reciever.
      When the RSX-1056 is off, my speakers are tied to my tubes for 2 channel, and when the 1056 is turned on it switches to the Rotel power amp I have tied to the mains for ht.
      So yes, if your ht reciever-processor has an external trigger its possible.

Comment

• Nuthed
        • Jan 2007

Post deleted
        Last edited by Nuthed; 05 March 2007, 14:31 Monday.
        Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
        RB980-BX driving mains
        Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
        Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
        Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
        SVS PB-12

Comment

• pbarata
          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by karnaaj
          Lets say you have a nice HT pre-pro hooked up to a good amp and the results are outstanding for HT but less than stellar for music. Is there a way to integrate a separate pre-amp AND amp into the system using the same speakers?
          You could always use a stereo dedicated pre amp with an HT bypass feature, or an integrated with the same feature:

- In the first option, you will only improve the pre section of your HT system. The gain will be controlled by the HT surround pre knob, and power amp will be the multi-channel amp;

- In the second option, you will improve both, because you will use for stereo, both the pre amp section and the power stage from the integrated. Nevertheless the gain control will be done by the HT surround pre. In this case, if you don't want to change cables, simple connect the front speakers to the outs of the integrated.
          Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
          Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• Nuthed
            • Jan 2007

Forgive me if I'm not following this correctly. You want to use one pair of main speakers with, essentially what amounts to 2 systems. You could use an amplifier selector switch like this:

Then if you plan on using the DVD palyer as your CD source you just connect the RCA preouts to your stereo rig and leave the optical or digital coax as you have it now, connected to your HT rig.
            Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
            RB980-BX driving mains
            Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
            Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
            Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
            SVS PB-12

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"