X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • karnaaj
    • Jan 2007

1095 vs 1080

Having recently purchased a pair of B&W 704's I've quickly realized that my
    Onkyo rec. that I have them hooked to is woefully under matched. I would like to purchase a 200wpc amp and use the Onkyo as a pre-pro for two channel music and to power my CC and surround speakers while watchng movies. Eventually I will upgrade to the RSP 1098 or 1068 for a pre-pro necessitating the purchase of a 5ch amp. My question is how much if any difference in sound quality will I see between a RB-1080 and a RMB-1095? I realize they are both 200wpc amps but I have read that multi channel amps are not as well suited to music listening as 2ch amps. If this is not the case I'll just opt for the 1095.

I'm really looking to improve my music listening pleasure at this point. I am satisfied for the time being with the HT aspect. Any opinons will be greatly appreciated. :T
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

Karnaaj,
    Who says multi channel music is not as well suited to music as 2 channel. Have you heard of DVD-A and SACD in Multichannel...Total Bliss!!!, and the High Rez of this IMHO beats 2 Channel to my ears any day. Again, I am a total fan of Multi Channel music in Hig Rez. I love 2 channel in Bypass mode, but you could do that on the 1095 too with a 1098 processor. For the money and Multi use such as 2 Channel listening, Multi Channel SACD and DVD-A including a full HT system can only be done with a 5 channel amp etc.. so if you are a strict orthodox 2 channel guy who does not like multi channel ,and all the NEW multi channel high Rez such as DVD-A and SACD and HT in 5.1 ,then get a 2 channel amp. that is my honest opinion. You'll save, but it will not fullfil all the multi tasks you may want in the near future
    Cheers!

Comment

• karnaaj
      • Jan 2007

Thanks for the reply chinets! I hadn't given sacd or dvd-a a thought to be honest. I've been out of the hobby for a few years and I thought that I remembered talk that the multichannel amps back then weren't as well suited for music. So I will pay a visit to my Rotel dealer for a 1095. Thanks again!

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

I own both the RMB-1095 and RB-1080. Initially, I had the 1095, hooked up via 5.1, sounded good, but not exactly what I wanted in 2 channel. Purchased a 1070, not quite, purchased the 1080, ahh, worked out well. There are better 2 channel amps available, but not for <$1000.00, IMHO.

I vote for the separate 2 channel amp, RB-1080, based on my personal experience. Besides it will give you the option to upgrade to 7.1 if you so desire.

Peace and blessing,

Azeke

Comment

• chinets
          • Jun 2005

Azeke,
          Wouldn't be more expensive to get several 1080 to build a 7.1 system?? Just curious!!! So wouldn't it be less expensive to go my way for Karnaaj? Sorry, Just a question ,and not questioning your Good advice for him for Stereo, if that is what he wants!!
          God Bless,
          Cheers!

Comment

• Iggurk
            • Jun 2006

Hello!

I'm a happy owner of Rotel 1095 and 1098, and this on BW 703, 705 and HTM7.

I can tell you that the 1095 is really good, I've tested the 1080 and 1090 on my 703, and for me it will be 1090 without any esitation if I decide to go Rotel for front amplifier update.

You can also start with the 1095 and update later.

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by chinets
              Azeke,
              Wouldn't be more expensive to get several 1080 to build a 7.1 system?? Just curious!!! So wouldn't it be less expensive to go my way for Karnaaj? Sorry, Just a question ,and not questioning your Good advice for him for Stereo, if that is what he wants!!
              God Bless,
              Cheers!
              My apologies, I meant to include the 1095 and the 1080 together for a 7.1 system (which is my current configuration). Also, as previously stated, the RB-1090 (for 2 channel) is even better, if you can find one. However, the RB-1090 exceeded by budget limitation.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• karnaaj
                • Jan 2007

Wouldn't the 1090 be overkill for a room 12'x16'? There's one on A'gon for
                $1550, which is within my budget but I am unsure whether I would ever need that kind of power.

Comment

• chinets
                  • Jun 2005

YES ,you would!!! You always NEED more power,You can't get enough power as they say. Better more than Less, and it will not be overKill ! You will get better head room ,and you can always do with extra power and lower the volunme ,than the other way round.
                  The more power you have ,the better the dynamics and outcome of the sound!!! My opinion and what I believe in.
                  Cheers

Comment

• Azeke
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003

I can hear it now, " Scottie, I need more power. I'm giving it all we've got Captain."

The only issue I can possible see is size, make sure you have enough room to place this beast. It is the same size as the RMB-1095. This would also prepare you for future speaker upgrades, and the 1090 retains it's resale value very well, if you ever wish to step up in class.

You could also consider the RB-1092 two channel digital amp.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Joey_V
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by karnaaj
                      $1550, which is within my budget but I am unsure whether I would ever need that kind of power.
                      1090 is NOT overkill. The point is not to blast your ear drums, it's to get more current into the drivers as quickly as possible to keep up with the transients of the music.
                      Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                      Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                      System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• chinets
                        • Jun 2005

There she Blows there Joey!!! :T You got it right in the Tail :W
                        "Scottie I need more Power, I'm giving it all we got Captain!!" :rofl:
                        Now let the force be with him!!! ;x(
                        No Power No Gain, Amigo!! :a>
                        Cheers!

Comment

• Yosho
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by karnaaj

Yea, my first post. Lol, I actually wound up buying that 1090 off A'gon. My room is 12'4"x16. I should have it setup in my system by next weekend. :T

Comment

• karnaaj
                            • Jan 2007

Contacted my dealer about the 1090 and he had no way of getting one, seems that they are discontinued. So I ended up ordering a 1095 instead. Now the search is on to find a pre-pro to replace my ageing Onkyo rec. I'm disappointed that Rotel hasn't updated either the 1068 or 1098 in a while. Have been looking at the new Sherwood rec. and using that, but I don't know. Gotta save up more money anyways, so I have time to look.

Comment

• chinets
                              • Jun 2005

I don't think the 1090 is discontinued???
                              Yes, latest Pre/pro from Rotel 1098 ,and the best they have. It is fantastic until HDMI and other formats come into play!!
                              Not many companies have come up with NEW pre/pros, beacuse they are all on the side lines waiting to see and add the NEW hD DD and HD DTS formats and HDMI etc. so you will benefit from non of the other brands either ,whether Krell or whatever. Denon is the first to venture into that area and zone ,so go figure!!??
                              Cheers!
                              We are all waiting for ANY brand to come out with all the NEW formats as gimmicks!!

Comment

• karnaaj
                                • Jan 2007

Went to the Rotel website and saw no reference to the 1090 at all. When I called my dealer he was telling me about the new Rotel 500w digital amp they now carry. Not a fan of digital amps so went with the 1090.

Comment

• chinets
                                  • Jun 2005

You mean 1095 ? Right?

Comment

• karnaaj
                                    • Jan 2007

Sorry, 1095. ops:

Comment

• Kevin D
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2002

You can edit your posts after the fact...

Comment

• chinets
                                        • Jun 2005

I had no idea you could edit the post after you have posted it ,and I have been on this forum forever. How do you do that Kevin D??
                                        I guess you learn NEW things every day.
                                        Thanks Kevin for your advance help that I hope you could give me.
                                        God Bless,
                                        Cheers

Comment

• karnaaj
                                          • Jan 2007

Click the edit button in the lower right hand corner of the post you want to edit.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"