X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • triumph
    • Feb 2007

triggering a 991

Is it possible to trigger a 991. I am using a sunfire grand for a pre and would like to trigger the 991. The sunfire does have a 12v trigger. There is also smart strip made by BITS suppose to trigger. Anyone one use one? Thanks for your time, Doug
    CD/DVD Denon 2910
    Pre Sunfire Grand Processor III
    Amp Sunfire Cinema Grand
    Polk LSi9s (front)
    Polk LSiC (center)
    Polk LSiFXs (rear)
    Sub SVS 20-39+
    Panasonic TH-58PX600U Plasma
    Rotel 991 2 channel (sides)
    Cambridge s-300 Multipole (sides)
    Blue Jean Cables
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Sure, any trigger-able power setup will allow you to turn the 991 on/off. Just make sure the unit can pass enough current for the amp, preferably with some form of high-current pass through. Even then, you may find the amp sounds better still plugged directly into the wall.

Rotel makes the RLC-900 that will do the job, but I'm sure you can find cheaper alternatives since you just need it for the 991.

Kevin D.

Comment

• triumph
      • Feb 2007

Are you saying the power strip is the way to go. Ordered one from bts, but my sunfire does not through enough power to turn on. Sent it back and they are sending a more sensitive unit to me. Hey Kevin thanks for your reply, Doug
      CD/DVD Denon 2910
      Amp Sunfire Cinema Grand
      Polk LSi9s (front)
      Polk LSiC (center)
      Polk LSiFXs (rear)
      Sub SVS 20-39+
      Blue Jean Cables

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Yeah that's about the only way to go for an amplifier. If the new one isn't sensitive enough let us know.

Kevin D.

Comment

• triumph
          • Feb 2007

Well the new one is still the same,returning both. Bts told me they are sending one with a 12v lead to use with my sunfire pre. Don't really have much faith in there products. I read some where here that some one was able to make there own trigger for the 991. Do you have any info regarding that? Thanks for your help, Doug.
          CD/DVD Denon 2910
          Amp Sunfire Cinema Grand
          Polk LSi9s (front)
          Polk LSiC (center)
          Polk LSiFXs (rear)
          Sub SVS 20-39+
          Blue Jean Cables

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Ah, didn't realize the Bits piece was auto-sensing. That probably wouldn't work too well. If they have one with a 12v trigger that should work fine.

I'm not sure of making your own for the 991. That's more power then most home made relay style triggers can handle.

Kevin D.

Comment

• triumph
              • Feb 2007

For all you guys looking to trigger your 991,BITS just sent me a new model smart strip which does this. It comes with a 12v line. I plugged the line in my Sunfire and now the 991 amp will turn on with the pre. Great company to deal with.
              CD/DVD Denon 2910
              Amp Sunfire Cinema Grand
              Polk LSi9s (front)
              Polk LSiC (center)
              Polk LSiFXs (rear)
              Sub SVS 20-39+
              Blue Jean Cables

Comment

• soundhound
                • Mar 2004

Rotel uses a 12vdc @ 200 ma trigger which is capable of driving many devices out there.
                Not sure what the Carvers are rated @ current wise but one can assemble (and elegantly in an enclosure) switch gear for most anything they want using these triggers.
                I built a amp-speaker switch using the trigger out of my RSX-1056 reciever to run my mains off of my ss amp for ht, and then defaults to my tube amp for 2 channel listening, as it was painfull swapping cables everytime I wanted to listen to tunes versus watching something.
                I am in the process of boxing it in to make it blend a little better in my rack, and am using relays w/ gold contacts, high buck wire, and soldering all connections to not compromise the audio side of things at all.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"