X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NTTY
    • Oct 2006

Rotel and Magnepan

Hello everyone,

I am new on your forum. A friend of mine, who already owns Rotel components, talked to me about your forum.
    As we didi several tests together, I though I could share them with you.

Apologize for my english which may be approximative sometimes, it is my mother tongue ops:

What I'd like to share is a test I did with the following components:
    - integrated amplifier Rotel RA-1062 (2x60W)
    - power amplifier RB-1050 (2x70W)
    - CD player RCD-1072

The speakers are Magnepan 3.6R that I usually run bi-amplified with an electronic crossover. For this test, I had to come back to the passive crossover, but still use bi-amp. Indeed, the RA-1062 is driving the RB-1050 via the preamp outputs. The RA-1062 is dedicated to medium/high and RB-1050 to bass.

Gain can be modified on the RB-1050 but I did not have to do it, therefore I assume gain and sensitivity are close for both amplifiers.

Résults

I was surprised by this little system and how it can handle the Magnepan. Deep Bass with plenty of nuance, and rest of the spectrum was also very subtle.
    Stage is clearly higher than with my standard system, but I discovered that it was the effect of the CD-player. BTW, stage was restricted to the width of the loudspeakers, not able to exceed them while my standard player can do so. I think this could be solved by moving a bit the speakers.
    Depth of the stage is impressive, and this is again an effect of the CD-player which is really good!

Dynamics is not what I usually get with my system but I did not think those little amps could do that with my Magnepan! This is were those amps are good, being able to play loud whithout hurting my hears.

About "transients" (I'm not sure it is the good word) I was again impressed by those amps. I like guitar and I am sensible to that aspect of the music. The Rotels were able to reproduce that very well!

The "timbre" (again correct me if I'm wrong) is realistic even if we can always ask more, but for the price, again, it is astonishing!

Of course, power is limited (I'm used to my two 2x400W amps that are amazingly dynamic) but I was not frustrated at all playing my favorite CDs on this system!

Conclusion

I heard a lot of electronics and we all know that find the good combination is not an easy task. With this one, I can really tell you that it works very well, and benefits of the bi-amp are amazing. Of course there's the power, but it's not only that. Ability to distinguish instruments is so improved that you can't come back to mono-amp. I also heard that bi-amp is improving the softness especially in the high frequencies, while bass are deeper with much better timbre.
    I really liked!
    :T
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"