X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frank1203
    • Apr 2006

Moving My Equipment to The Basement

Hi,

I'm thinking about relocating my Rack of Equipment that currently resides in my Family Room to the basement and using an IR repeater to control the equipment from my easy chair. I have a Rotel Receiver (RSX-1056); Rotel Amplifier (RMB-1075); Rotel Phono Pre-Amp; Comcast HD Box; Furman Line Conditioner that would need to be moved. In addition, I would also need to relocate the DVD Player; CD 5 disc changer; turntable and equalizer to the rear of the room in an armoire for easy access since this equipment needs to be readily accessable.

My question is - does anyone think there are any problems with moving the equipment to the basement? My installer says he does that all the time, but whenever I think of basements, I get concerned with dampness and water. My basement is very dry and maybe just a little humid but you never know So, I would like your opinion as to whether this is a viable solution or whether this could cause the equipment to malfunction. I do not have an upstairs closet to move the equipment to, so this is basically my only option unless I just literally move the entire rack from the front of the room to the back of the room.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

Should be ok. Be sure to get a good Dehumidifier.
    Greg

Comment

• timmay1969
      • Dec 2005

I have all of my equipment in the basement and its fine. A regular dusting and a nice dehumidifier in the summer months and all is good.

Comment

• basementjack
        • Dec 2004

No problems with the basement - I agree - get a dehumidifier - I got one at walmart - and ran a hose to the floor drain for hassle free operation.

I assume youre basement doesn't flood, and that you'll keep the equipment a foot off the ground in the even of any seepage.

Lastly, just make sure the rack isn't put anywhere where water can reach it from upstairs, overhead pipes etc...

Comment

• frank1203
          • Apr 2006

Thanks to all for your input. I scheduled an appointment with my installer to check out my relocation requirements which will include moving the "power" part of my equipment to the basement. My intention was just to take my open rack and relocate it in the basement. It is an open rack and I can re-adjust the shelves so that the bottom shelve can be at least a foot or so from the floor (cheapest way as well) The other idea is to have some shelves (or small closet) custom built on the wall. I am pretty certain that there are no water pipes located above in that area, but I'll double check.I'm also hoping that the cost to do this rewiring will not be too large since I am basically moving the equipment down to the basement directly below where it is located on the first floor now. I guess we'll find out.

Where i think the larger costs will come into play is - As I mentioned earlier, it was my intention to keep the equipment that is used regularly (ie: DVD and CD players, phono, EQ, etc.) upstairs since they need continuous access. For those of you who have your equipment in the basement, is that how you do it too? I just can't see going up and down basement steps to put a CD in or chnage a record or EQ setting.

Thanks again for your input.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"