X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ac81017
    • Aug 2006

Help!! - 6 RB970s or RMB-1075?

Hello and greetings from the B&W speaker gang!! I´m no Rotel expert, that´s why I´m here!!

Instead of me buying a rmb 1075, I was thinking of buying 6 rb970´s!!
    I have a friend who has two, and I´ve seen a few on the net for next to nothing! Next to nothing is ca $150 each!! I can get the two of my friend for $100!!!

I think it would look so cool with 6 rb970´s!!

I´m going to power two pairs of 602s3, but i`m thinking of changing out a pair of 602s for a pair of 805s!! I´m using two B&w lcr60´s as front and rear centre! Last but not least a B&w asw 750 sub!!

I want to buy the B&w speakers, but I need a power amp or six! And to ask my dear wife for money for the rmb 1075 might end up with a slap in the face!!

oh, If I did get 6 x rb970´s I would brigde them to gain 180watt instead of 2 x 70 or what ever is??

:T
  • Alex999
    • Jun 2006

I suggest you get 12 of them. Much better than 6.

Comment

• ac81017
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Alex999
      I suggest you get 12 of them. Much better than 6.

Why 12?? I can only use 6, If I brigde two 970´s at a time, I´ll get 180watt per channel!
      so then I would have 6 x 180 watts in total!! Question is, is it a smart idea??

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by ac81017
        Question is, is it a smart idea??
        Well you wouldn't need a heater for that room!

Comment

• ac81017
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
          Well you wouldn't need a heater for that room!
          I seem to getting the idea that six rb970´s is not a good idea??? Or maybe a bit over the top? ít´s just that I can get all six for next to nothing! A sixth of the price of a rmb 1075!!

Comment

• srb
            • Oct 2004

A sixth of the price of a rmb 1075!!
            1. Not sure about the pricing where you live, but the RMB-1075 is $1000USD (~$700 used)

2. Bridging an amplifier usually results in higher distortion figures (maybe audible for you, maybe not).

3. Bridging an amplifier results in it seeing half of the impedance load. Your B&W 8ohm speakers would look like a 4ohm load to the amplifier. Not a problem with the B&Ws, but hooking up 4ohm speakers in the bridged mode would most likely be a no-no.

4. Capacitors are rated to have a certain average lifespan in hours. Older amplifiers are more likely to need them replaced. Even if they are not shot, they may have reduced performance.

5. You would have 5 additional powercords in your maze of wiring, presenting more of a likelihood of inducing hum or noise into your interconnects, not to mention needing 5 additional outlet spaces to plug them in.

My recommendation would be the RMB-1075.

Comment

• ac81017
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by srb
              1. Not sure about the pricing where you live, but the RMB-1075 is $1000USD (~$700 used)

2. Bridging an amplifier usually results in higher distortion figures (maybe audible for you, maybe not).

3. Bridging an amplifier results in it seeing half of the impedance load. Your B&W 8ohm speakers would look like a 4ohm load to the amplifier. Not a problem with the B&Ws, but hooking up 4ohm speakers in the bridged mode would most likely be a no-no.

4. Capacitors are rated to have a certain average lifespan in hours. Older amplifiers are more likely to need them replaced. Even if they are not shot, they may have reduced performance.

5. You would have 5 additional powercords in your maze of wiring, presenting more of a likelihood of inducing hum or noise into your interconnects, not to mention needing 5 additional outlet spaces to plug them in.

My recommendation would be the RMB-1075.

I see your point!! You sound like an expert!! ;x( so I´ll take you word for it an go for the rmb1075 without a doubt!!!

Thank you very much for that bit of info :T

Comment

• Pez
                • May 2004

I agree with srb, get the 1075. Having individual amps for each channel is nice but not necessarily so if you have to bridge channels. If we are talking straight monoblocks then by all means go for it. However then you have to deal with all the additional power cords and that can be a real pain.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"