X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BassThatHz
    • Jul 2006

Bass Management and Dual Stereo subwoofers

Is it possible with the current generations of Rotel processors to get a non-summed stereo subwoofer output with the front channels set to small, with a Stereo input signal?. I know they have subwoofer 1 & 2 outputs but are they both in mono or what?

If not, I sure hope they do in the upcoming models as it sure would be handy...
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Nope, summed mono only. Of course if your subs allow, you can set the fronts to large, sub to none, then run the front outputs in and out of the subs.

Kevin D.

Comment

• chinets
      • Jun 2005

Finally another Stereo Sub freak like I am!! Welcome to the Dual Sub group!! Bass heaven!!!!! Enjoy!! as you will love it with Music and HT!! A new World for the ears!
      Cheers!!!

Comment

• Sticky Hawk
        • Sep 2006

Chinets -- Do you have the same sub matched 2X with your two channel speakers. Have you ever tryed to do two different subs with your two channel set ? I know it would be best to do the same sub (DUH) but I liked the one I had before and I like the one I picked up, I am just wondering if others have tried this out. I will soon have this set up in my basement but I was just wondering on others experiences. Especially some one like yourself who has had lots of experience ;x( .

How much time did it take for you to optimize your bass envelopement? I need to explain to my wife why I am crawling around on the floor, it would be good to manage her expectations :T

Sorry if my question is too dumb, please be kind :B

Comment

• sonicbaer
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by BassThatHz
          Is it possible with the current generations of Rotel processors to get a non-summed stereo subwoofer output with the front channels set to small, with a Stereo input signal?. I know they have subwoofer 1 & 2 outputs but are they both in mono or what?

If not, I sure hope they do in the upcoming models as it sure would be handy...
          here here...or is that hear hear...

I just purchased a second sub too...and I would like more bass management options..

Mike

What is probably going to give me the best sound...running the front speakers in and out of the sub or splitting the signal out of the pre and running the one cable to the amp and the other to the sub for each channel ?

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

dual sub

Sorry,
            but 2 sub in a system (personaly) ops: i for my the last change in my setup
            i think is a little "freek" ;x( and really not necessary

Sorry Omar

Comment

• joetama
              • May 2006

If you really like low end dual subs would be a great addition. However, isn't it true that most low end is Mono anyway? And wouldn't you be better off setting the two subs next to each other so you have more coupling between them? Just a thought.....

What subs are you guys going with. I have a MartinLogan but have been looking at some of the new REL's. Haven't heard one yet, but they look pretty impressive...
              -Joe

Comment

• mike c
                • Dec 2005

do you guys think there's a lot of info in the rear surrounds to:
                set the surrounds to large
                and then high pass the surrounds to the sub with its sub crossover

Comment

• sonicbaer
                  • Jul 2006

I'm in the infancy stage of audio equipment and discovery..
                  I like to do it and see for myself..

It just may turn out to be a little "freek"(ie) but maybe not.

Ihad it in my head that the two subs would be extension to my front/left speakers...maybe it won't work that way. I suspect, mostly because there is..in effect, is not a good crossover in the setup or bass mangaement.

Kevin D. the way you suggest might be good but I have concerns that the crossover in the sub is not on par with what would be in a well designed speaker with good woofers.

I'm going to play with it and see(hear) for myself with my current equipment
                  which way works better. I am also going to split the signal out of the pre (with Y adapter) and hook on wire to subs (left and right) and the other to my amp/speakers (left/right)..

who knows I may end up with one or both subs on mono and play with the rotel setup. I've read somewhere that sometimes two subs can help with room accoustic issues..

and that will have to work until I get my 800's and relegate the 604's to HT.
                  but right now I listen to just stereo 100% of the time..later I'll play with surround/HT..

This hobby does seem to have consumed me...but I like it
                  any input would be much appreciated. I'm a sponge, sucking up everthing.

Mike

Comment

• chinets
                    • Jun 2005

Sticky Hawk,
                    I have 2 subs that are the same brand and make In other words 2 X B&W ASW 850 subs, and they are connected to my processor The first sub, In Sub 1 of my processor and Sub 2, in my Sub 2 of my processor, therefore ,no Daisy connection and to me it sounds better that way and you get that stereo image with your subs too. If your processor has an Input for 2 subs that is a big plus than having it in a daisy connection.
                    I placed the two subs on the 2 sides of my side couch ,therefore they are between the 2 front main speakers and the back surround speakers so you get the bass comming from the front and back. A true stereo sounding LOWWWWW bass.
                    This is Fantastic for HT in ever way and I love it for SACD and DVD-A or even pure Rebook music in 5 Channel if you like multichannel music. In stereo bypass with HDCD for example the sound comes from the 2 front speakers right?? But you also get this wonderful bass frrom the front and back and it just fills the room with smooth low bass...very cool.
                    I found with 1 sub only In HT or Multichannel SACD or DVD-A that the bass was only in one area..the front in my case ,but when I added the second sub where my surround 3 way speakers are the room sounded full and filled the room correctly and you can't tell where the sub sound is comming from, but with just one sub I personally felt I could locate the placement of the sub. With 2 subs you really can't tell where the bass is comming form and fills the room with wonderful smooth low frequency bass that gives you that gut shivers feeling.
                    No, I have not tried out 2 different subs as they would give two different low bass frequencies and that would differentiate the front from the back and that would make you locate the subs by just hearing them. By having 2 of a kind the sound mingles as if it were One sub by filling the room from the front and back. Bass envelopment came immediately when I installed the second sub. 1 sub does NOT envelope my listening room at all ,and that is my opinion!!!
                    Hope that answered your question my friend.
                    Good Luck and cheers,
                    Chinets

Comment

• chinets
                      • Jun 2005

Sticky Hawk,
                      By the way No question on this forum is a silly or dumb question. So question your heart out as we are all amateurs or knowlegable amateurs here ,and this forum is to learn and get advice so shoot any questions your heart desires ,as we were all in your shoes a few yaears ago.
                      Enjoy the forum and let your ears make your final choice. It is your taste at the end of the day.
                      We are all here to learn!!!!!
                      ENJOY and CHEERS,
                      Chinets

Comment

• Sticky Hawk
                        • Sep 2006

Chinets,

Thanks a bunch I will experiment around and see what I can get going. Thanks for the encourgement. :T

My basement is going to be done in the next week or two, so far I have been playing around with the connections and setups in my den. So I may be back in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again!

Comment

• chrispy35
                          • Feb 2004

HK whitepaper?

I recall there was a whitepaper put out by harman kardon that went into quite a bit of depth/analysis of various sub placements in a dual-sub system. I've tried searching for it but had no luck...

I vaguely recall their recommendation was to place the subs along opposite walls at the centre of the walls, facing towards each other. I could be imagining things though, it was a while back when I read the paper.

Chris P.

Comment

• chrispy35
                            • Feb 2004

Found it!

Comment

• chinets
                              • Jun 2005

Sticky Hawk,
                              You are more than welcome. When you get your room ready shoot the question again, or if you need help, we are all out there to help you ,or PM me if you have any specific problems.
                              Good Luck and Cheers,
                              Chinets

Comment

• DelRay
                                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by chrispy35
                                I think I've read that one before too. I haven't tried my subs centered on opposite walls though. But, I will give it a try. After revamping my seating the bass doesn't seem as "big" from the sweet spot. Maybe it's my imagination.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"